recommend your favorite mixes!

Anything Paul Levitt has done is a great reference for drums IMO. It's not quite metal though.

However, Matt Goldman continues to blow my mind (The Chariot, Underoath, As Cities Burn, etc...). He's working with MyChildren MyBride right now, which i'm stoked for.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia. This album has so many details. You'll discover new stuff with every listen. It also features the most gorgeous drum production I've ever heard. It doesn't get much better than this imo.

alright, just got the way of all flesh & all the right reasons. both sounded great in my car, still haven't checked them in the studio though.

can anyone recommend some mixes by CLA? especially some of the heavier stuff would be cool....actually i was tempted to get nickelback - dark horse, too, just for the sake of having staub and cla mix songs on the same record ^^

not too recent but I have to say I'm surprised he's not mentioned a little more on here

Sascha Paeth

his work on the Avantasia cd "Scarecrow" is fucking amazing actually

Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side (I think it sounds a bit better than the newer one)
All Bloodbath albums and EPs (although the production on The Fathomless Mastery is a bit thin)
Behemoth - Evangelion
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom (sounds incredibly natural and like the band is playing right next to you)
Carcass - Heartwork
Cataract - Cataract (incredibly fat and raw)
Dark Tranquility - Fiction
Ektomorf - Destroy
Evocation - Dead Calm Chaos
Gorefest - La Muerte
Gorefest - Rise To Ruin
Grave Digger - The Last Supper
Hail of Bullets - ...Of Frost And War (Dan Swanö is a god)
Hail of Bullets - Warsaw Rising (Those drums are may be the greatest on earth)
Kataklysm - In The Arms Of Devastation
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Manowar - Warriors Of The World United
Meshuggah - Nothing (Re-Release)
Meshuggah - Obzen
Necrophobic - Death To All (somehow I like this raw production very much)
Nightingale - White Darkness
Opeth - Still Life (That 5.1 mix is crushing)
Opeth - Watershed
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Paradise Lost - Believe In Nothing
Pestilence - Resurrection Macabre
The Project Hate MCMXCIX - The Lustrate Process
Rammstein - Rosenrot
Sacred Steel - Iron Blessings
Slayer - Christ Illusion
Souldrainer - Reborn
Torture Division - Our Infernal Torture
Trouble - Unplugged
Turisas - The Varangian Way
Unleashed - Where No Life Dwells
Vader - Impressions In Blood
Vomitory - Carnage Euphoria
While Heaven Wept - Of Empires Forlorn
While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose

all of them are amazing in their own way (making that list took a while :lol: )

Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side (I think it sounds a bit better than the newer one)

+1, especially the bold-faced part, this album has one of my favorite of Jens' mixes! (and is by far my favorite musically by them also, a most excellent coincidence I have to say :headbang: )

ion dissonance- Solace (one of the most crushing mixes ever imo, the mix only really works for this band)
Cephalic Carnage- Xenosapian (very clean and punchy sounding cd)

Ha damn, you guys are making me nervous for the next one. Honestly, I was never 100% satisfied with that mix. :zombie:

And to the OP,

Devil Driver - Last Kind Words (Andy)
Joey's Oceano and Before Their Eyes mixes
Rise Against - The Suffer and The Witness
Black Dahlia - Nocturnal
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
Some odd rock mixes like Three Days Grace and Hoobastank

among others obviously...

When I read this, only 1 album comes to mind, and I'm not sure why!

The Ghost Inside - "Fury and The Fallen Ones"

It lacks a lot of low end, but I love the drums so much! :)
That being said, does anyone have any production info on this album?

holy fuck, the nickelback album (ATRR) sounds HUGE. very impressive indeed. it's also surprisingly good musically (aside from having way to much balladesque stuff hah)
what about dark horse? is it also as intense sounding as its predecessor?

also, i'm still wondering about some of CLA's work. so far paramore - brand new eyes is quite high on my to-buy list (CLA mix and ted jensen master, hard to go wrong i guess), but maybe there's some even more impressive/illuminating stuff?

holy fuck, the nickelback album (ATRR) sounds HUGE. very impressive indeed. it's also surprisingly good musically (aside from having way to much balladesque stuff hah)
what about dark horse? is it also as intense sounding as its predecessor?

also, i'm still wondering about some of CLA's work. so far paramore - brand new eyes is quite high on my to-buy list (CLA mix and ted jensen master, hard to go wrong i guess), but maybe there's some even more impressive/illuminating stuff?

Don't forget Rob Cavallo as the producer!

Yes, 'All The Right Reasons' is massive. If i had to pick a single reference album, that would be it. Has massive mixes from Randy and Mike Shipley on there. Very soon I will be shooting for this sound in my own work - just as soon as the outboard gets back. Sounds like a hell of a challenge.

Opeth - Watershed
Carcass - Heartwork
At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Rammstein - Liebe ist fur alle da
In Flames - Clayman
A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
The Duskfall - Source
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Farewell To Freeway - Only Time Will Tell
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Cult of Luna - Eternal Kingdom
The Foreshadowing - Days of Nothing

To be honest, I'm not sure if I can name a favorite metal mix right now. There were several I THOUGHT were good, but later on I didn't think they were so perfect after all. Current favorites would be The Faceless - Planetary Duality and Despised Icon - The Ills of Modern Man...

I'm kind of in a difficult situation, being a noob and I just can't think of a suitable reference mix for my band's stuff. I need to make lots of compromises in our sound, since I would like a The Faceless kind of mix, but we have shitloads more synths compared to their music. It needs to sound fucking brutal but at the same time it should sound epic. Impossible I guess?