Recommendation: 16 HORSEPOWER/WOVEN HAND

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
I did a quick search, and to be honest I was entirely FLABBERGASTED by these bands not having really been discussed in RC, ever. I thought this stuff was PRETTY OBVIOUS to everyone, but apparently not..?

16 HORSEPOWER was a dark/gothic alt-country/rock band from Denver, Colorado. Unsettling, deeply Christian lyrics of the fire & brimstone persuasion, but ultimately some very beautiful music.

16HP eventually split up; one of the guys formed a band called LILIUM which is fortunately less Christian but which I won't cover here, and vocalist, multi-instrumentalist & songwriter David Eugene Edwards formed WOVEN HAND. It's basically 16HP but generally less rocking, more introspective & experimental, and less country/americana but more European folk. Still deeply, profoundly Christian. Lyrics well-written from often pretty abhorrent points of view. Beautiful music.

This is the only band that gets away with writing Christian music. If you don't like this you are wrong, I don't care how much you worship the Devil. Even MARDUK covered these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty good stuff, don't think I've heard any of this before. Pretty hilarious recommendation tactic as well, good show!

16 Horsepower may be my favorite recommendation of yours, mindboggling as that is. Also, I don't bother with most lyrics anyhow so whatever they're blatthering about means little to me.

I checked it out a week ago, didn't feel confident commenting on one passing listen. I'll check it out again in the next few days.

Note to everyone - I'm checking out every reco, so you're sweat will not go unwarranted.