Oct 31, 2005
B0000019HU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B0000019HU.01.BACK._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Samples:
Good Morning, Captain:
http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1A9X7A5RY62GA0DWTPLJ7PRKN0
Nosferatu Man:
http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QAW67VB6DGBI3VHA3ITR8DDQ2

Alright, I know I’m not in the batting order, but I’m cutting in (“Mind if we dance wif yo dates?”). This is NOT a metal recommendation, but I think Spiderland will be well received by many on this board. I’ve recommended this album several times, but no one ever expressed an interest. A couple people said they had heard the band’s first album, but Spiderland is a very different album. Spiderland is generally considered one of the finest indie albums of the 90’s. Part of what makes me think people here will like the album is its influence on the post-rock/metal/punk/whatever movement. Slint is obviously not the father of the style, but they’re easily a stylistic uncle. This album came out in ’91, by the way. Anyway, here’s a couple reviews. The second one was supposedly written by Steve Albini, but I haven’t confirmed that fact. As one reviewer said “Spiderland rewards the patient listener”. Give it a chance. It rules.

Wow. I can't emphazise enough how good Slint's Spiderland actually is. I know that sounds like overblown fanboy gushing, and it probably is, but hear me out. Released in 1992, Spiderland was forgotten amidst the waves of Seattle grunge, and that's too bad, for this is an incredibly unique work.

This Louisville, Kentucky quartet was once a hardcore punk outfit, though you would never realize it by listening to this album. The guitars are spidery, the tempos slow and methodical, and the vocalist recites muted spoken word in the darkened recesses. The arrangements are somewhat spare and repetitious on first listen, yet there is an underlying mathematical structure to them--the buildups are truly staggering in their power. Overall, the sound is distant, dark, and vaguely unsettling. This album conveys the sound of an overcast and windy autumn night, the leaves rustling in the trees, the fog rolling in. Delicate and meloncholy, yet shadowy and intense at the same time.

Spiderland rewards a patient listener. The songs are extended somewhat, hovering in between five to almost nine minutes. The chiming guitars of the opener Breadcrumb Trail begin the journey, followed by the wonderfully creepy Nosferatu Man, probably the most aggressive track on the album. Don, Aman is a moody piece full of whispered lyrics and strummed guitars that ominously build and build, until a wave of distortion breaks through as if to signify something dramatic and terrible has happened. Washer, the longest track, is a downbeat and poignant song full of yearning and emotionally naked lyrics. This is not "emo"--this is way more powerful and moving than any whinery that the likes of Conor Oberst can muster up. "Wash yourself in your tears, and build your church on the strength of your faith.."

For Dinner.. is an instrumental. While it is not the strongest track on the album, it serves as a breather for the finale Good Morning, Captain, one of the most emotionally intense pieces of music I've ever heard. The way the singer whispers toward the end, "I'm trying to find my way home..I'm sorry, and I miss you," followed by a dramatic crescendo and his cries of "I miss you!"--it leaves a pit in my stomach. Every time. Sounds cliche, I know, but it must be heard to be believed.

Although later post-rock bands such as Tortoise, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, and Explosions In The Sky have attempted to replicate the power of this album, nothing can beat the original. Spiderland is pure emotion set to music, and one of the most powerful records of the '90s. Calling it "essential" is an understatement.

With over 70 reviews of this i don't think there's anything i could say which hasn't already been said. So, here's the review Steve Albini wrote about it way back in 1991 :

Since about 1980, America has been host to an ever-increasing parasitic infestation of rock bands of ever-dwindling originality. It seems there is no one left on the continent with an aspiration to lay guitar that hasn't formed a band and released a record. And that record sounds a little bit like Dinosaur Jr.

Trust me on this; all but maybe three of those records are pure bulls**t.

My primary association with rock music is that I am a fan of it, though listening to the aforementioned nearly killed that. In its best state, rock music invigorates me, changes my mood, triggers introspection or envelopes me with sheer sound. Spiderland does all those things, simultaneously and in turns, more than any records I can think of in five years.

Spiderland is, unfortunately, Slint's swansong, the band having succumbed to the internal pressures which eventrually punctuate all bands' biographies. It's an amazing record though, and no one still capable of being moved by rock music should miss it. In 10 years it will be a landmark and you'll have to scramble to buy a copy then. Beat the rush.

Slint formed in 1986 as an outlet and pastime for four friends from Louisville, Kentucky. Their music was strange, wholly their own, sparse and tight. What immediately set them apart was their economy and precision. Slint was that rare band willing to play just one or two notes at a time and sometimes nothing at all. Their only other recording, 1989's Tweez hints at their genius, but only a couple of the tracks have anything like the staying power of Spiderland.

Spiderland is a majestic album, sublime and strange, made more brilliant by its simplicity and quiet grace. Songs evolve and expand from simple statements that are inverted and truncated in a manner that seems spontaneous, but is so pricise and emphatic that it must be intuitive or orchestrated or both.

Straining to find a band to compare them with, I can only think of two, and Slint doesn't sound anything like either of them. Structurally and in tone, they recall Television circa Marquee Moon and Crazy Horse, whose simplicity they echo and whose style they most certainly do not.

To whom would Pere Ubu or Chrome have been compared in 1972? Forgive me, I am equally clueless.

Slint's music has always been primarily instrumental, and Spiderland isn't a radical departure, but the few vocals are among the most pungent of any album around. When I first heard Brian McMahan whisper the pathetic words to "Washer", I was embarrased for him. When I listened to the song again, the content eluded me and I was staggered by the sophistication and subtle beauty of the phrasing. The third time, the story made me sad nearly to tears. Genius.

Spiderland is flawless. The dry, unembellished recording is so revealing it sometimes feels like eavesdropping. The crystalline guitar of Brian McMahan and the glassy, fluid guitar of David Pajo seem to hover in space directly past the listener's nose. The incredibly precise-yet-instinctive drumming has the same range and wallop it would in your living room.

Only two other bands have meant as much to me as Slint in the past few years and only one of them, The Jesus Lizard, have made a record this good. We are in a time of midgets: dance music, three varieties of simple-minded hard rock genre crap, soulless-crooning, infantile slogan-studded rap and ball-less balladeering. My instincts tell me the dry spell will continue for a while- possibly until the bands Slint will inspire reach maturity. Until then, play this record and kick yourself if you never got to see them live. In ten years, you'll lie like the c***sucker you are and say you did anyway.

Ten ******* stars.

Steve Albini.

hm , I'll check it out. Been wondering about this band ever since I saw tUMULt was putting out a "black metal tribute" of sorts, and thinking how hilarious this was since I presumed this was some emo band

I've heard good things about slint from a friend a year or two back. Good Morning Captain I think. At the time I wasn't too interested in the mp3 he sent me, but maybe now I might appreicate it some more.

I've been trying to find a sample of Slint for ages - seemed like a band I'd be into, based on what I've read about them on Allmusic.com (am I the only one here that reads random band biographies/discography reviews for fun?), but couldn't find a track to sample to make sure (I'm not much into blind purchases). Much appreciated, Eminor. :headbang:

*time passes*

Okay, just listened to Good Morning Captain - yep, this is going on my shopping list.

Yeah I'm totally late to this party. :loco:

This is pretty cool. There's a dark edge to it which I don't often hear in indie rock (although my knowledge of that style is pretty limited). Definitely dig it.

edit: Yeah, I definitely want to pick this up. I usually buy indie type stuff when I go local music stores so will keep my eyes peeled next trip.