Recommendation: Ares Kingdom - Return to Dust

swizzlenuts

i'm sciencing as fast as i can
Apr 21, 2003
Arkham
Ares Kingdom resides from Kansas City, Missouri kicking our ass with their debut of intense death/thrash. I know what you are thinking when you hear death thrash, something in the vein of Vader, the lovable Gojira, or any of the new polished stuff, but this is completely different and similar to the late 80s early 90s death/thrash slowed down(at times) and better production. It has loads of mid-paced thrash riffs that chug along moving to doomier parts or more aggressive parts, and using gaseous vocal onslaught of Alex Blume to keep moving. The vocals, which are my favourite style, deep, gaseous, and lenghty, are used perfectly to accentuate the riffing. This release will keep you head banging all the way through, and a closer inspection shows the great lead work, specially over top of the main riffs; however, I'm not talking about leads like Pagan Altar, but more of switching the style the riff is played and the sound, similar to what heavy metal bands do(Fear Itself is a good example of this). After a good chunk of riffs are thrown at you, a solo, which in gives me chills most of the time, rips through the riff. To get another perspective to this, think of a rope as being a riff, and then the solo being the strands of the rope as you gradually unwind it, then weaving it perfectly back together(Dream of Armageddon and Ironclad do this very well). The drumming on this album is obviously fed from the riffs; moreover they do not use the typical thrash beat, but they do accomplish the same goal to let the guitars take over. From start to finish the album throws riffs at you, never becoming tedious or making you think you’ve heard it many times before; moreover, this is one of the better releases in 2006, and it will get many more plays from me.

118011.jpg

1. Firestorm Redemption
2. A Dream of Armageddon
3. Failsafe
4. Fear Itself
5. Lamentations
6. None Escape (has a meedly meedly solo like Strong Bad talks about when he's describing metal)
7. Sins of the Father
8. Official website

Love the powerful old school monster riffing - sheer ownage right there. I would say it's mostly thrash influenced, but without being too "bay area". Simplistic & aggressive heavy metal, with a touch of that early era Metallica "epic" style. I could definitely rock out to this in a live setting.

The intro to Ironclad fucking rules.

Thumbs up swizzles.

First of all; mad props to the producer for the fat and chunky production. Audible bass is pretty nice for a change! Good vocals (I can't stand typical thrash vocals), nice riffs and solo parts, plus some rather headbanging moments makes this a listening experience that is above average.

First of all; mad props to the producer for the fat and chunky production. Audible bass is pretty nice for a change! Good vocals (I can't stand typical thrash vocals), nice riffs and solo parts, plus some rather headbanging moments makes this a listening experience that is above average.

I was curious to see what you thought about it, I can only say it does not grow old with multiple listens.

I'll second the props for the production, if only for the chunky bass and the awesome guitar tone (although personally I think the vocals are too up-front in the mix and the cymbals are too sizzly). As for the music - fucking YES. I totally agree with Dark One about the "early 'epic' Metallica style" feel to this stuff - the way each song progresses is definitely way more interesting than your average death/thrash merchants would usually do it.

good stuff

they could have maybe multi-tracked the guitars a little more, to balance out with the rest of its bass and vocal chunkiness...just to create that "wall of sound" effect

Bastard. I downloaded these but didn't take the time to listen to them until yesterday. And I'm wondering how the fuck I hadn't heard of this band. And now my policy of NOT buying any new music this week is fucked. It's nice to find something completely unheard of and so perfect for my taste.

This was far better than I expected, as "intense death/thrash" isn't a phrase that usually inspires me to come running. Perfect mix of melody, groove, and heaviness. My only complaint would be that the songs are probably a bit longer than necessary.

think of a rope as being a riff, and then the solo being the strands of the rope as you gradually unwind it, then weaving it perfectly back together

Awesome. You could have told me this was Boring Brutal Death Band #8473, and I still would have checked it out if they inspired you to turn a phrase like this!

Neil