Recommendation: Mortem (Peru)

skeptik

Feb 7, 2003
Getting their start in the mid 80s, it wasn’t until 1989 that Mortem managed to put out even a single demo, and only 7 years following that first demo were they able to release an actual album, Demon Tales. Since then, Mortem has released three more crushing albums of their take the old school Death Metal sound, namely The Devil Speaks In Tongues (1998), Decomposed By Possession (2000), and De Natura Daemonum (2005). Having the prestige of being among the first extreme metal bands to ever come out of Peru, Mortem pays homage to their heroes like Morbid Angel, Possessed, Sacrifice, and Slayer while maintaining their own vision of what Death Metal should be. Their sound harkens back to the days when these aforementioned bands reigned, yet you wouldn’t mistake them for a contemporary. They clearly have taken queues from the past, but reimagined in their own way, coupled with a great South American tradition. Yet throughout the years, the years of being ignored for being an obscure, unknown Death Metal band from Peru, the numerous lineup changes, and the passage of time, Mortem have always remained true to their original vision, as evidenced by their using material on their latest album that was originally recorded for their 1991 demo. Their sound remains pure, yet a careful observation would show an evolution of maturity in their music. This is the sound of contemporary Occult Death Metal. Appreciate.

Demon Tales (1996)

porta1m.jpg

Tracklist:
1. Daemonium Vobiscum
2. End of the Christian Era
3. A Demon Tale
4. Satan II
5. Unguy Maman, Mother of Disease
6. Vomit of the Earth
7. Unearth the Buried Evil
8. Demonolatry
9. Blackened Arts
10. Tormented by the Undead

The Devil Speaks In Tongues (1998)

porta2m.jpg

Tracklist:
1. Fiat Obscuritas
2. Demons Haunt Loudun
3. Uma, Head of the Witch
4. Summoned to Hell
5. Mutilation Rites
6. Devil Speaks in Tongues
7. Posthumous Magic
8. Turn in your Grave (Sacrifice cover)
9. Zombie Plague
10. Sucubus
11. Lycanthropes (Howling Death)
12. Moon of Cannibalism

Decomposed By Possession (2000)

porta3m.jpg

Tracklist:
1. Death Rules Supreme
2. Devilled
3. Blackest Funeral
4. Morgue Rapist
5. Hell And Beyond
6. Curdled Blood
7. Decomposed By Possession
8. Noctivagants
9. Incubus: The Return

De Natura Daemonum (2005)

MORTEM_4.jpg

Tracklist:
1. Into the Nethermost
2. De Natura Daemonum
3. Black Demons
4. Shadows that Pray to Asurah
5. Qarqacha, Demon of Incest
6. Dead Forms of Evil
7. One with the Dead
8. Illusion of Blood
9. Its Tomb Leads to Hell
10. The Witch
11. Superstition

Note: If you haven't figured it out, I don't have the first album.

Oh man.... The riffing on Summoned to Hell and Moon of Canibalism fucking rule, pure old school and fast. If the rest of the stuff is like this, there is no reason not to get it.

About "Summoned To Hell" : This is pretty good, without being something special. I don't like the guitar sound much, the riffage is pretty cool, but the highlight for me are the solos.
edit : "Moon Of Canibalism": even better
So, the recommendations will be about bands, not albums?

This is pretty good. However none of the uploaded tracks stand out from the pack, which makes it difficult in deciding which album to look further in to as a starting point. Eh I guess there really is no wrong point eh eh eh!??!

BrownIofthestorm, we are still recommending albums, though there is no rule stating you can't upload tracks from a bands entire discography.

The production values of The Devil Speaks In Tongues is notably worse than the others, De Natura Daemonum being the best. I think overall De Natura would be my favorite. BTW, Superstition is one of the songs taken from their demo days. They also put out a 12" EP last year, but I haven't heard it yet.

Listened to Summoned to Hell and Black Demons so far, must say that I am liking the old school Death Metal sound. I'll be adding De Natura Daemonum to my "Pick this shit up" list.

Well I downloaded one song, Summoned to Hell. Yeah, I pretty much just don't like this sort of death metal.

Gah... Rapidshare's gay, have to wait eight minutes between downloads. Oh well, gives me time to post thoughts:

'Summoned To Hell' - I was immediately impressed with this. Uncomplicated, straight-to-the-point, immediate old-school death metal. The rhythm guitars behind the solo sound like first-album Paradise Lost riffs on speed, which is cool.

'Moon of Cannibalism' - I can hear the Slayer influence a lot in this one, meaning it almost sounds like Vader at times as well. Which, for this listener, is not a bad thing by any means.

'Blackest Funeral' - Ooh, somewhat meatier production - and it doesn't hang about, does it? Doesn't really go anywhere either, though - this one kind of blurred past me. Oh well, three minutes 'til I can download the next.

'Curdled Blood' - Weird riffage at the start of this one - sounds really messy and disorganized. Improves quite rapidly after that though, but Decomposed By Possession material isn't quite grabbing me the way the stuff from The Devil Speaks In Tongues did.

'Black Demons' - Better production again - the kick drums aren't as clicky this time round, which is one of the things that was annoying me about the tracks from Decomposed... The band sound tighter and more focussed too. I like the mid-section with the spoken word, breaks up the track nicely.

'Superstition' The vocal phrasing is really evoking 'Angel Of Death'. I really like the lead guitar lick right before the first solo, and the cool melodic riffs after - Mortem should do more of this.

Out of all those songs, I found myself liking the stuff from The Devil Speaks In Tongues the most - I may pick it up, in time. Definitely nothing there that sucked. Nice recommendation!

Decomposed By Possession is a bit weird, yeah. The production takes some getting used to and the riffs and song structures are a bit abnormal at times, but it's more rewarding with repeated listens.

That snare or kick drum (or whatever piece of drumkit it is making that door knocking sound on "Blackest Funeral") keeps making me swing round to see if someone's knocking on my office door.

BY FAR, I prefer the material on the last album, De Natura Demonum (including the production). "Superstition" is more of what I like because it breaks up the monotony of blasting with mid-paced different riffs, and in between, MELODIC lead solos. That riff at 3:42 is simple, yet mindblowing creamy pants good.

You can definitely hear the POSSESSED influences.

Thing is, I'm not totally sold on "Black Demons" yet. It's a bit too frenzied at first listen. If it was as good and immediate as "Superstition", I'd say De Natura Demonum was a slam dunk. I'll keep spinning.

If you want to throw another sample from De Natura up here, I'd love to check it out.

"Moon Of Cannibalism": This is pretty rockin' stuff, make no mistake about it! I really like the dark, evil vibe they've got going. The main verse riff really reminds me of Blood Red Throne's "Ravenous War Machine", which obviously isn't a bad thing in my book. Cool solo parts too. This is asskicking, dark, old school DM.

"Black Demons": Pretty headbangin' tune, although not as good as "Moon.." Still, pretty good shit!

The two sample tracks I downloaded have made me want to check out the other songs too. I therefore declare this recommendation a successful one!

I downloaded several of the songs and listened and managed to forget to post. Good review, I had honestly never heard of this band but the description got my interest. I really dig this approach to death metal. I'm going to have to see about picking up "The Devil Speaks in Tounges" and likely "Decomposed by Possession"

While I dig the style of music, I hear absolutely nothing here that makes the band stand out in any way, shape or form aside from the exceedingly smooth tempo changes, those are killer!

I wouldn't turn it off, but I wouldn't reach for it either with gems like Unleashed, Morbid Angel, Grave, etc. on the shelf.

Jason