Behind the mist.
Om - "Variations on a Theme"
2005 - Holy Mountain Records

omov.jpg

I - On The Mountain At Dawn (21:16)
II - Kapila's Theme (11:56)
III - Annapurna (11:52)

Total playing time: 45:04

Well, here's my apology for the people who don't give a fuck about stoner/doom metal (because this album is about as stoner/doom as it gets). Om is a band consisting EXCLUSIVELY of two members from the band SLEEP. There are four ingredients to this music:

Bass
Vocals
Drums
Groove

The overall atmosphere and sound of the album is really hypnotic due to these "themes". You did read correctly, there are no guitars or keyboards or anything like that- just a bass with a KICK ASS tone and some very appropriate drumming. The vocals are delivered in a very "droning" style, but they too are extremely fitting and enjoyable. The songs loop and follow each other around for very extended periods of time, but this isn't really a negative thing when it comes to Om. What can I say? Just listen to the mp3... you won't find music that sounds like this very often.

(9/10)

Great album. I believe they're working on a new one, but I haven't heard anything about when it might be out.

march 2006 is what their site has said, but I haven't seen any mentions of it lately.

and then a split with current93 in may

This is pretty cool, but I'm getting bored of it (had to stop in the middle of the third song). It would probably make more sense if I was constantly blazed like the rest of you guys.

the record store has this in with the earth and sunn LPs so i've always found it intriguing; maybe i'll pick it up when i next go a-viking

I downloaded this mp3 when MAX FUCKING JOHNSON first uploaded it, but I'm not even going to listen to it before buying the album on my next stonerrock.com binge.