Recommendation: Opera IX - Maleventum

Dark One

The Tainted Dogma
Feb 5, 2002
Southwest Florida
www.ultimatemetal.com
Solid blackened pagan metal hailing from Italy, Opera IX's Malevuntum saw the band evolve in a more aggressive manner; yet without sacrificing the atmosphere and seriousness of their craft. A prevailing belief in the powers of nature, in the Celtic gods and in the energy of the personal mind & spirit fuels their inspiration.

2002's Malevuntum is primarily a concept album centralized around witchcraft and the pagan nature of the philosophy. Sounding more like something that could've emerged from the cold sanctuary of Scandavia or the far reaches of western Europe than the cultured boot of modern day Italy, you'll find an ambient, keyboard laden sound, surrounded by growling vocals, dark riffs of varying and effective "viking metal style" tempos, with the occasional bursts of speed as well as slower passages employing some cleaner vocals. New vocalist Madras (who replaced the well respected Cadaveria, a female singer who went on to pursue a more gothic sound) provides an effective growling style that neither fades too far into the background, nor permeates the foreground in a distracting manner.

Still around after undergoing numerous lineup changes in their 17 year history, Opera IX are a band that could grace the stage of Heathen Crusade and easily have the crowd in the palm of their collective hand. As it stands, let's start with the loyal readers of Royal Carnage.

-Dark One

Official Site - www.operaix.it

Opera IX - Maleventum (2002)

cover634_14626

1. Maleventum
2. Princess of the Ancient
3. In the Dark I Found the Reflection of the Hidden Mirrors - http://download.yousendit.com/EA4B86557B920AC5
4. Unearthed Arcana
5. Muscaria - http://download.yousendit.com/B1545B586DC22070
6. Forgotten Gods
7. In the Raven's Eyes - http://download.yousendit.com/303BBA13306A000A

Gah, I was seriously considering having the album prior to this, "The Black Opera", as my recommendation (after doing a search and seeing this band had hardly been mentioned at all on RC). Back to the drawing board I guess.

What do you reckon of that album? I really like it, but I must admit I never checked out anything after it so I will listen to these uploads ASAP.

What do you reckon of that album? I really like it, but I must admit I never checked out anything after it so I will listen to these uploads ASAP.

Quality release, and one that is held in high regard by the Opera IX faithful, but I just find the vocal style and the aggressive sound on Maleventum more to my liking. I'm not the world's biggest Cadaveria fan.

The first sample starts off kinda odd....and then all of a sudden at the 1:00 mark, it falls into this LMI era ARCTURUS / "Monumension" vibe which I like a lot. Oh yeah, and it keeps twisting and turning, it's definitely got a hold of my attention.

I'm gonna listen to this again before getting to the next tracks. I want to savor this.

If IOfTheStorm doesn't like it, there is a chance I will. Downloading.

All I know of this band is their One rode to asa bay cover and it's very good.

Meh, nothing grabs my throat after a few songs. Back to The Chasm - Conjuration of the spectral empire.

Cool - thanks for checking it out. :kickass:
No problem. I really didn't know what else to write. It's weird that we have to just write something even a "this sucks" to every recommendations, just to show that we checked it. I've checked much of the things that i didn't write anything about for example and i found it pointless to just write that it sucks (if it did).

It's weird that we have to just write something even a "this sucks" to every recommendations, just to show that we checked it. I've checked much of the things that i didn't write anything about for example and i found it pointless to just write that it sucks (if it did).

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, it's just that it's nice to know that when you go to the trouble of scouring your collection for things to recommend and then bother to try and come up with a capsule synopsis/review, etc., that people are actually checking out what took a little effort to come up with. Good or bad, at least that makes the effort worthwhile.

Cheers.