Recommended Bass For Recording good DI Tracks

Yeah, I think Rickenbacker basses look super badass, though the guitars make me :puke: like few others can :lol:

Admittedly I did deal with a high-end Warwick DI in the past and it was very wooly and low-mid heavy, in many ways like this one.
Typically the low-mid centric sound you get from warwicks is due to their love of ovangkol and wenge. Maple and ash should sound aggressive. IME MEC's are aggressive sounding (if sometime harsh) so I have to admit I too am confused about the inability to get something workable out of this bass.

The five things I would try are: steel strings, bridge pup parallel, raise the action, pick harder, and don't be afraid to dime the bass and treble on the preamp.

Had a double buck for a while. You can get a great fat tone out of it straight away but if you want somthing more along the lines of a metal tone for id recommend a sans amp or similar. Either that or what I also used to do was record one track with a crap load of mids and some highs, and blend it with a track with low end and a big of growl. Did wonders.

That being said though, ive since moved onto a music man stingray 5 and a sterling 4 string....best basses ive ever recorded with tbh. Pure honest to god workhorses.

From what I have experienced with Warwicks, via a few friends owning them. They have a lot of concentration in the low/ low mids and retain a very warm mid range all through. So when most *metal* bass tones consist of chunky lows and then that grindy mid/ high, warwicks don't really aim for that kind of tone. I'm assuming that's why they are so popular amongst the Alt metal/ rock types :)

Just my experience of course :)