Record Players

Ozzloaf

Art Geek
Jun 14, 2008
Hi,
I REALLY want to get a record player but I don't know what to get. My dad has his old one from the 60's tucked away somewhere but it needs a new needle and I'd need to get an amp. Before I spend hundreds of dollars on an amp though... I'd imagine that technology must have improved in the past 30-50 years so what do you recommend? Is there a such thing as a digital record player?
Thanks,
Jake

Technology has really not improved that much. What turntable does your dad have? If it is close to decent just buy a new cartridge and a RIAA and plug it in to your stereo.

There are a lot of different choices regarding RIAA and pick-up. What to choose depends on how much money you are willing to spend and that record player you have.

I don't think that there is a digital record player.

I got myself a SONY deck a couple of months ago - only like £100 - sounds excellant - need a decent amp and speakers though. Sounds far superior to cd - like listening to a live band :headbang:

It's funny...when CD's were first coming out in the 80's (and yeah, I'm old enough to remember that), everyone was saying how superior the quality of CD's were over vinyl and that vinyl records were going to basically go the way of 8 track tapes. Over the last couple of years though, it seems as though there has been a vinyl resurgence. A lot of people who know a lot more about audio then I do, have been saying that (as Witcher stated above) the sound on vinyl is so much deeper and warmer...and recreates the live sound so much better than CD's ever could. It's really making me want to do some research and invest in a record player. Soooo....that means I'll have Still Life, the Still Life special edition, the Still Life record on vinyl etc etc. LOL. Great thread, BTW. I hope more people respond. My knowledge of record players is...limited at best.

I've got an Audiotechnica PL-120 and love it. Manual arm, which is no drawback for me. Brand spanking new. Direct Drive. Belt = bad. Also, ignore those UFO looking mini DJ ones (numark) if you want any kind of sound quality.

EDIT: Guess I'll go into more detail...

You will need an amp and speakers with RCA connectors (most likely) to enjoy your system. Any powered system will work, including those you can get at your consumer grade electronics store (Best Buy, etc.) But ideally you'll get something better than that. The key is it has to be powered, by a seperate amp or by a part of the system.

You should avoid belt drive because the accuracy will not be there. Belts can stretch and warp, ruining your pitch via changing the speed of rotation. A direct drive has the motor in-line with the rotating center pin. There are no other things between the motor and the rotating platter. They also make turntables with strobe detection. This is a cool feature. There is a strobe source that bounces a beam of light off of reflective surfaces on the side of the spinning platter. There is also a receiver that picks up the reflections, and judges how fast the platter is spinning based on the interval of reflection. It can then automatically adjust the speed to compensate and fine tune.

If you *must* have one with an output (I personally don't understand this at all, why would you invest in vinyl just to burn it to mp3?) those are usually available for 10-20 dollars more in the same model as ones without it.

Depending on your use, you might want an automatic operation (push a button and the record spins, needle sets itself, raises when done and resets itself) or manual (push a button and the record spins, set the needle yourself). You might want one that plays 33 1/3 RPM (this is standard for most 12" LPs - full length albums) and also 45 RPMs (plays smaller, 7" single discs). Another common speed is 78RPM for hi res recordings. On my player, you can push both buttons to get this mode. 33+45 = 78.

Mine also has a feature you probably won't use, and I don't either: pitch slider. This increases or decreases the rotation speed so you can mickeymouse the recording or make it darth vader'd. Mostly a DJ feature. I also have a reverse feature, which you might find useful for certain notoriously evil recordings.

I've never tried those combo boxes. I don't know if they're legit quality or not.
At_pl120md.jpg

Is mine. Definitely not the best, but damn good on a budget.

You should avoid belt drive because the accuracy will not be there. Belts can stretch and warp, ruining your pitch via changing the speed of rotation. A direct drive has the motor in-line with the rotating center pin. There are no other things between the motor and the rotating platter.

This is not entirely correct. The belt isolates the motor vibrations from the platter hence significantly reduces the low frequence noise from the motor. In other words there will be less background noise (low frequency noise) than a direct drive.

If you want the most value for money go buy a old used turntable and buy a new cartridge.

I have a Thorens 112 MKII:
Td115mkii_tp30.jpg

It was brought second hand for 100$ then I got a new cartridge (Ortofon stylus 20).

I bought a Sony turntable a few years back after tiring of using my parents one; plus I wanted one for my apartment. I plug it in the audio input of my theater system which goes pretty badass. I got it for around $200, don't know the model number or anything like that but I checked reviews before I bought it and it seemed to be pretty well received and I've had no issues with it. I need more records I have about 150, whereas I have like 500+ cds.

^^^ Yeah the the kinda base model SONY LP player - you cant really go wrong - sound quality cant be faulted, its cheap (£100), plays both RPM, and both 7" and 12" - I guess the real costs come from the amp and speakers - but you wont be sorry if you buy a decent set up - I'm always blown away by the sound quality, just got the Blackwater park reissue (its my favourite record) its severe aural pleasure :headbang: