Who here plays bass? or anyone 4 PURCHASING suggestions

Heliotropic_Rose

in the soil beneath
Nov 17, 2004
Austin, Texas
I don't play bass, i play guitar, but as I can't find people to be in my band I'm going to take it upon myself to get a bass and finish writing my songs.

So I really want to be able to have TOOL like bass riffs and sounds.

So what type of amp should i buy?
As well as BAss Guitar? Money isn't an issue as long as it's not outrageously expensive, around a couple of thousand dollars is my limit i'd say . . . .

what about MESA amps? Heard anything good about those?

If you're looking for cheaper purchases I'd suggest buying an Ibanez bass. You can pretty much dublicate the tool sound with trebly settings. I don't know much about bass amps but I have Fender and it sounds great for low-range stuff. And if you're looking for effects.. Justin uses ones like the flanger and bass distortion.

To record with unless you have a room which is sound proof id get a di soulution as bass gets everywhere in the building and carrys more than a guitar amp.
i have a yamaha tbr 1006 but the 1005 should be good it has bass mid and treble controls so you can get alot of sounds that way, they play nicely and have an even sound with a professional setup and id have the battery compartment modded (message me for details) it should do well, the some warwicks are ok but not for me. but i liked the speactor euro 5 i tried recently nice modern metal sound lovley neck.
you could try a pod x3 live or the sansamp bass di pedal or try a ampeg bass preamp into a computer then use a amp sim to put it through a bass speaker simulation.
also a good di box then use some of the software packages available.

have fun, bass is far harder to get a good sound at home than guitar.

ive recently recorded bass through my 7 watt matamp into a small 12 inch guitar cab and miked it (i used a condenser mike but a really good dynamic designed for bass would work well), that worked as it gave clarity and not to much bass and the sound cuts through a mix well :kickass:

other option is you could joint F jam and see if anyone else wants to do the bass parts for you.

if i can get my head round the material i would see what i can do, but im not a complicated player.
If not someone on F jam im sure will help:headbang:

cool thanks for all the suggestions! Hmm bass is harder to get a good sound at home you say TheMaster? Well I'll guess I'll shop around once I get my money situation under control.

And what is F-Jam? Do you mean just share music online with you guys and collaborate?

I got an Ibanez. They're fairly inexpensive and have good sound. If I'd had more cash, I'd've gone with something else. Maybe a Line-6 bass (they're pretty cool, and I get an employee discount).

Yes Heliotropic_Rose i do think its harder to get a good bass sound at home, unless you just di the bass, but if you want a bit of life to the sound then yes its harder. i can mike a 12 inch speaker cab and use a small low wattage valve amp on guitar and get good results i can even use a palmer speaker simulator on through setting so the sound still comes out of the speaker and take a feed from the palmer and from a mike and that works well, but to mike bass i find more difficult as the sound just needs more volume for a good sound but by then the neighbors are giving me ah hard time.
But everyones style id different and everyone wants thier sound. :kickass:

^ i Wonder if once i get a good sounds card if it'd be best to plug a bass amp straight into the laptop and not have to bother with having to mic it? would that work themaster?

Yes Heliotropic_Rose it would for certain styles of playing if you say use a pick and want a very clean style, but it will sound a bit sterile, you could try some apm sim plugins though to help, also try a multiband comperssor and use that on about 3 or 4 to1 ratio with a threshold set to even most of the dynamics out then put it through a limiter on a mild setting to trim some peaks off. you will find that you can use the compressor a bit like an eq to shape your sound, i find this works very well, then a little eq to suit.
however if you have say cubas sx3 or cubase 4 try the multiband on there and maybe the magneto plugin as this when set right will add a little extra charicter and also level the sound a bit.
oh and new strings will help.
if you play finger style then the fun begins lol well it does for me hence suggestion of miking up