Suggestions on bass guitar/pick ups.

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Hi guys, as some of you may know I'm a guitar player and strangely enough I've never played a bass guitar (mainly because I'm left handed) so my knowledge on them is really limited. I don't really know what are the things that make a bass guitar good, so I need some help.
My band's bassist's knowledge on that stuff is even worse.

We're looking for ways to improve his tone (besides improving his technique, which is average). He currently uses a schecter stilleto extreme 5 bass guitar. Is that a decent instrument to get good bass tones for metal? I'm familiar with the quality of schecter guitars, which I think are great, but I haven't seen their basses mentioned as much.
One option we're looking into is to replace the stock pickups with EMGs, is that something you would recommend? What kind of difference would that make (again, I know how EMG guitar pickups affect the tone and in what situations they would be recommended, no idea on bass guitars).

Any other suggestions/opinions are welcomed.

Yes. Replace the stock pickups with Dc's. That is going to be the shortest path to a scooped out metal sound. Looking at the spec, it's a mahogany bass. Some guys here hate that b/c it's a dark wood. I like the compression it brings but it will certainly require boosting the high end.

Rickenbacker. I love the Rick sound. Think Motorhead and old Metallica (like KEA)

But yeah, pickup swap will be a step in the right direction.