Bass pickups

Most (if not all) "active" basses are passive pups with an active preamp, unless they have EMGs. Standard shit in the bass world.

To quite honest with you, if you want a versatile bass, get one with a P/J setup. Seriously. I never knew what I was missing till I bought my cheap-o P/J Cort. That pup config. is just too good.

Most (if not all) "active" basses are passive pups with an active preamp, unless they have EMGs. Standard shit in the bass world.

To quite honest with you, if you want a versatile bass, get one with a P/J setup. Seriously. I never knew what I was missing till I bought my cheap-o P/J Cort. That pup config. is just too good.

I'm really digging the MMJ combo these days.

Most of the MEC's on the Warwicks are active as well.

Bartolini, as Marcus mentions too.

Of course, it's different strokes for different folks and everyone has their own taste, but I have an active EMG 3-band EQ in my bass which is equipped with Passive EMG's. I've rarely ever used it.

Most of the MEC's on the Warwicks are active as well.

Bartolini, as Marcus mentions too.

Of course, it's different strokes for different folks and everyone has their own taste, but I have an active EMG 3-band EQ in my bass which is equipped with Passive EMG's. I've rarely ever used it.

To be clear, bartolini only makes passive bass pickups (there are exceptions but none in regular production). Warwick makes some of both but almost all with active preamps.

I currently use EMG DC's on my ESP - but I think I'm more in love with the sound of single coils. There's a certain grind that you just don't get from bass humbuckers.

To be clear, bartolini only makes passive bass pickups (there are exceptions but none in regular production). Warwick makes some of both but almost all with active preamps.
Ah yes. You're right about the barts, my bad. I was thinking of the ones on the Ibanez Prestige Basses... those are active, no?

I currently use EMG DC's on my ESP - but I think I'm more in love with the sound of single coils. There's a certain grind that you just don't get from bass humbuckers.
EMG makes single coils in the same housing as the DC's. :)

If you are interested on the 35-DC, 40-DC or 45-DC tone you can check these bands:

Slayer, Hatebreed, The Haunted, Damage Plan, Shakira, Lamb Of God, Static-X, Ministry, Asesino, Black Label Society, Skinlab, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Thin Lizzy, Trivium, Public Enemy, Rick Martin, Judas Priest, Bullet For My Valentine, Brand New Sin, Soil, Chimaira, Rotting Christ, System Of A Down, Behemoth, Ill Nino, Body Count, Katatonia, Children Of Bodom, Overkill, Cannibal Corpse, Hate Eternal, Lacuna Coil (my favourite bass tone), etc.

Might be a silly question, but if you are low on funding can you replace just one of the pups with a 35-DC, or is it both or nothing? Im pretty clueless on basses.

Yep. As I stated earlier, some guys like Les Claypool (Primus) uses only one EMG 35-DC on the bridge.

If you are interested on the 35-DC, 40-DC or 45-DC tone you can check these bands:

Slayer, Hatebreed, The Haunted, Damage Plan, Shakira, Lamb Of God, Static-X, Ministry, Asesino, Black Label Society, Skinlab, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Thin Lizzy, Trivium, Public Enemy, Rick Martin, Judas Priest, Bullet For My Valentine, Brand New Sin, Soil, Chimaira, Rotting Christ, System Of A Down, Behemoth, Ill Nino, Body Count, Katatonia, Children Of Bodom, Overkill, Cannibal Corpse, Hate Eternal, Lacuna Coil (my favourite bass tone), etc.
I assume that you are just pasting from the EMG site but I know a couple of those listed personally that have never used EMG's on any record and there are several more with siggies that don't use EMG actives either. I'm only pointing this out b/c I would hate for someone to just start listening to records by those listed and assume they are using something they aren't.

Unfortunately endorsements are no guarantee of use. On the extreme side, a friend of mine got sent a couple of nice basses the company wanted him to take on a big tour. He played them for a week and then traded them for $500 and a bass he actually wanted (before the tour started). I think he is still listed on their site even though this all went down 5 years ago.

john campbell (lamb of god) doesnt use emgs, I know this for a fact (his main bass is a stock millennium 4). same thing with jim of chimaira, his bass is a stock peavey grind 5 I believe.

john campbell (lamb of god) doesnt use emgs, I know this for a fact (his main bass is a stock millennium 4).
It used to be. I don't think it is anymore. He has a Jackson signature bass out now.

Lamb_of_God-0330-John_Campbell.jpg

Thanks for all the comments guys.

In response to JBroll and Metaltastic, yeah I'll give the stocks a try, it's not like it's going to get a huge amount of use anyway and I'm sure it will sound better than a pitch-shifted guitar. :)

I dig stock Fender American Jazz Basses honestly. Passives on bass sound better to me. Also stock Ric basses sound AMAZING but are very expensive.

I've never swapped pickups on a bass, to me it's all about finding a good bass in the first place. If it doesn't sound good unplugged, it will never sound good through an amp. There are basses in every price range that sound awful - you really have to try out a lot of basses.

Incidentally, I'm in the market for a good Fender Jazz Bass. :lol:

It used to be. I don't think it is anymore. He has a Jackson signature bass out now.

Lamb_of_God-0330-John_Campbell.jpg

oh shit. I think he only just started using during the sacrament tours though, if I remember right he's still using the peavey in the "making of sacrament" dvd - so he only recently made the switch (probably late 06/early 07-present)

Yep. As I stated earlier, some guys like Les Claypool (Primus) uses only one EMG 35-DC on the bridge.

Shakira, lol.