Bass pickups

Nuno Filipe

You talkin' to me?
Jul 1, 2009
Portugal
For a quite few years I didnt gave much attention to pickups but after I put a EMG combo in a low cost schecter for the first time, I realize that different pickups could lead to a big improvement.

Anyway, today I got the squier jazz bass VM and the pickups dont seem bad at all but after hearing an a ibanez gio with a EMG PJ set and a great low end, made me think that might worth changing later. What´s your choice when comes to bass pickups.

EMG's, lol.

Actually, I've not tried the X series on bass, but I have on guitar, and even though I disliked them in that application, the added headroom (and the tonality it gives), and the slightly lower output seems like it'd be nice on bass.

If you like the EMG sound there is no substitute. Bartolini has a lot of different flavors so take care when picking them. I say that owning 5 basses with barts.

I've got EMG 40DCs in my Ltd Bass... the only alternative I've considered is a different set of EMGs for a different sound... but I'm happy with the tone i've got now...

I have to take a look at bartolini but there is also only one set that fits my bass. I am looking for a good low end and growling mids. I have to see some youtube videos to hear if it is what I am looking for.

well, the emg's are definately among the brightest j pickups you'll find. if you're a messy player, there's going to be a lot of fret and string noise that can get obnoxious. if you have good technique I'd go for them cause the offer great lows and the clarity I like. equally great and in some situations even preferrable to the emg's are the nordstrand or lindy fralin j pickups. my opinion is based on my experience with j pickups playing fingerstyle, undistorted.

Another vote for Delano.
Especially the ones with the big pole pieces.
Got me a PJ-set for my Mahogany Precision Bass.
Clear as a bell. They really make you work for your tone but add a nice edge to aggressive playing.

I have only played a sandberg bass with delano's. I think they're pretty good from what I can tell.

I would spend that much if it was really worth it. But in the case of Lundgren pickups for example, I think they are overpriced garbage (Ibanez with a M8 in the bridge).

So forgive me for being skeptical when people say "yeah these sound great" when the price tag is on the higher end of the scale. Sometimes I feel like people hear with their eyes or wallets more than their ears.

I'm sure someone here could post up a clip that would make me shut up though. :lol:

I own 3 basses with Bartolinis and they all fail in comparison to my two loaded with EMGs. Dunno if it's just the basses in general, but they all share similar qualities (ie: tons of bass and very little clarity). They sound cool for lower gain stuff and rock but man... the EMG MMTW bridge in my LTD and the EMG Ps in my Peavey kill.

This is coming from someone who generally hates EMGs in guitars.

What I'd ask is which barts you have. The MK1's are everywhere and not particularly good. The bart CB series OTOH is really pretty bright. Also, pretty much every small shop uses custom winds rather than off the shelf. That said, if you like the EMG sound there isn't a reason to look elsewhere.

What I'd ask is which barts you have. The MK1's are everywhere and not particularly good. The bart CB series OTOH is really pretty bright. Also, pretty much every small shop uses custom winds rather than off the shelf. That said, if you like the EMG sound there isn't a reason to look elsewhere.

My Ibanez SR has the MK1s, my BTB has USA customs & USA preamp and my Fender has a set of USA 9SU in it. Hate them all :erk:

The 9u's are super wooly for sure. I prefer the stock fenders to those. I don't know about the BTB's, but again if you hate it it doesn't matter what I think.
Since so many manufacturers are using the P2 and P4 shape now EMG needs to start making a set too. I'm not holding my breath though. It took them 30 years to start making metal covers.

Sorry to bust in and be a thread stealer, but no point in starting a new thread for a similar question.

I too am in the market for a set of PJ pickups for my Jazz bass. I'm modifying it as I want to combine the P and J flavours. Has anyone used the Seymour Duncan QP's together? I'm more of a rock music kind of guy, so I'm not in any need for EMG's/not looking to break the bank for my sound. I really like the Fender USA Std Precision pickup that's in my Precision bass, but I'd like another flavour.

(Sorry Nuno)