Record Sales

Ry guy

Oct 6, 2010
California
Just wondering how Theocracy's record sales were doing? I know its really none of my business but i was just curious. (I'm referring to worldwide sales, not just North America.)

Well their newest album did really well, I believe. It reached around number 40 on some Billboards chart.

I was told today by a bandmember in another band that digital sales don't count as album sales. That's disappointing :(

Wait....what? Did this person happen to explain why that is? Is there some difficulty tracking them properly or is this some archaic music industry thing?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't digital sales a huge portion of the market these days?

No, he didn't explain. He was just saying that "we had album sales of 100,000 for our last album and that doesn't even count all of the digital sales on iTunes, because they don't count those as album sales in the #s." I'll see if I can find out more. That definitely sounds like a huge disparity, since digital sales go up every year (and the major labels have already announced the coming end of CDs, if I remember right). My friend could be wrong, of course. I'll try to figure it out :)

I have a hard time seeing CD's disappear entirely, at least not anytime soon. There are still people who want the physical copy, as part of a collection of nothing else. I never actually play CD's anymore, just rip them to iTunes, but I wouldn't think of throwing out my collection and on the occasions I do buy one, I think it's nice to have.

I see them become more of a niche product, produced in smaller quantities. Sort of like the way vinyl is now. Who knows, maybe one day they will have a nostalgic appeal?