Recorded some real drums

I don't know how raw these drums are at the moment but I think they're the best sounding thing in the mix. Add some reverb and dirty things up a little with some parallel compression. Add more punch on kick and toms by toying around with compression and it's attack. I really like the snare, just a little too dry.

The guitar is a little thin, and the bass isn't very audible.
The drums sound nice though, although the kick could have a little more punch, and maybe some more high end.

Thanks for your feedback and advice :wave: It's appreciated.

The guitar is a little thin, and the bass isn't very audible.
The drums sound nice though, although the kick could have a little more punch, and maybe some more high end.

Like I said, those are just scrap tracks that I received from the band. Everything (except for the drums) will be rerecorded with real amps and in good quality, it's all about the drums for now ;)

Plankis, I was testing what you proposed and came up with a whole new and different drum sound, how do you like it?

Different Song, different drum sound, lots of parallel compression and room:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3797259/Delirium_Test2.mp3

I can not believe how huge those small drums can sound :yow:

How do you guys like it? Do you prefer this sound or the one of the drums in the other track?

for me they sound very muffled, not polished enough. maybe you should eq some highs inside? specially the kick

Be careful with parallel compression, it adds a lot of dirtyness but too much it starts pumping. It's especially apparent on the cymbals, how to solve this? Either just lower the paratrack or remove the cymbals from the paratrack and/or do a separate parallel compression for the cymbals. I do both lol.

Test 4 and Test 5 both has too much reverb on the clean parts, yet the tail doesn't cut through. This is a sign that you either have the wrong kind of reverb, try some different plates. If that doesn't work you probably need to start cutting in the guitars since they eat a lot of frequencies. You can also try automation.