Recording a 4x12 in an untreated room?

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
What do you guys usually do about recording guitar in an untreated room? Just build a "tent" around the cabinet with a heavy blanket?
... I'm trying to get rid of some reflections.....

Thanks.

be careful how you do that; i find that boxing the cab in makes it sound.... boxy.
i wouldnt worry to much about it

Just keep it away from corners and play around with keeping it off the floor a little ways with cinder blocks or something to see if it makes it less boomy/muddy. I've built a wall several times and liked the results, but more recently I haven't bothered and I've come up with some of my best tones yet.

Just keep it away from corners and play around with keeping it off the floor a little ways with cinder blocks or something to see if it makes it less boomy/muddy. I've built a wall several times and liked the results, but more recently I haven't bothered and I've come up with some of my best tones yet.

yer exactly what i do

keep the cab away from corners and its got the castors on it too to lift it off the ground a bit

on top of that's been mentioned, i would check out the mic's polar pattern, and whatever direction the mic is going to pick up bleed from, hang something absorptive on the walls

that'll help tame your room reflections, but won't give it that "boxy" feel

on top of that's been mentioned, i would check out the mic's polar pattern, and whatever direction the mic is going to pick up bleed from, hang something absorptive on the walls

that'll help tame your room reflections, but won't give it that "boxy" feel

+1

Close micing a cranked cabinet wont get much room sound. Maybe if you were micing one of you bottom speakers the floor may have an effect on the tone. Also when you start introducing room or ambience mics you may not like the results.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I think the key was moving it away from one particular part of the room which was causing a resonance with certain low notes, and not pointing the cab straight at a bare wall. I might try hanging some blankets on the far wall like Colonel Kurtz mentioned.

Cheers.

I've found out that sometimes, if there's a little room in the recorded amp sound (when close-miking), it makes the sound a bit bigger. It also gives the sound it's own space in the mix. Not always, though, so listen closely to what's going on.

Yeah, I picked up an Auralex GAMMA based on Egan's recommendation and really dig it for decoupling. Tightens up the bass nicely, and it even helps a bit in a band mix, I find. I've heard James Murphy uses one, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I picked up an Auralex GAMMA based on Egan's recommendation and really dig it for decoupling. Tightens up the bass nicely, and it even helps a bit in a band mix, I find. I've heard James Murphy uses one, but I'm not sure.

Does a standard sized cabinet fits more or less on a normal gramma ? or does a the great model is required to your opinion ?

well, thats the solution I am heading to for this summer-in-my-parents-houses-living-room-recording.

Does a standard sized cabinet fits more or less on a normal gramma ? or does a the great model is required to your opinion ?

well, thats the solution I am heading to for this summer-in-my-parents-houses-living-room-recording.

I put the regular gramma sideways and let the casters hang off the sides (or remove them for a mesa). Honestly the great gramma is probably a better fit but they didn't exist when I bought mine. The GG is probably big enough to support the weight of a bass cab too.

EDIT: I just checked the current prices and for the price of the great gramma you could get 2 originals which would be more flexible and actually have a greater surface area.

hey Egan thanx for the answer,

thats it I am into this :) Will order before this summer.

By the way, I got the dismantling devotion cd+tshirt this weekend ! Looks and sounds really good !