Recording a band's demo with limited setup, drummer not happy

what if I just record him using that Recorderman method, and then just program the drums according to his performance, but tell him that I just "enhanced" the recording? Would that be unethical?

This is my normal operation as it doesn't mess with his arrangement. Which lets face it, is probably the REAL reason he is butt hurt over samples.

what if I just record him using that Recorderman method, and then just program the drums according to his performance, but tell him that I just "enhanced" the recording? Would that be unethical?

It is going to be a lot of work dude. I´m not sure if the paying is good enough for the trouble of doing that. Anyway, if you go that route, maybe Toontrack Drumtracker can help you finding some of the hits as it can analyze multiple instruments files.

Could make him cough up enough to get his drums tracked at a semi-decent studio...

i've often gone this route, get some time in a small-time studio for the drums only, then track the bass,guitars and vox on my setup...

track him with one mic in the kick, and a single mono OH. if you're lucky, you'll get a usable rock sound. if not, make it sound like total shit so that the guy will beg you to program the drums after the fact...

track him with one mic in the kick, and a single mono OH. if you're lucky, you'll get a usable rock sound. if not, make it sound like total shit so that the guy will beg you to program the drums after the fact...

I'm gonna do this, or try the Zepplin method, because as it turns out, the building they play in is a huge old warehouse with super high ceilings.

Thanks guys

Basically the Zeppelin method is 2 room mics.. not exactly overheads either.. so remember to play with mic placements...

-P

just tell the drummer to give you the drum tracks on file and you will take it from there .
No arguments .

If they're just shopping for gigs an obviously-real drum track might be a plus, even if the sound quality is less polished.

After all, if the booking dude hears obviously-programmed drums on the demo he's got no idea what the band actually perform like, has he?

Assuming the drummer is good, I'd use the recorderman method. Use an audio-to-MIDI-note process to grab the drum hits (use eq filters to isolate the individual drums for this, then go through deleting any extra MIDI notes and manually putting in any which were missed). Trigger the samples from the MIDI notes, blend with the stereo recorded drums.

The key with the "free-recording/mixing" situation is to make your own rules and state them to any band interested, before entering the studio. Believe me, if you are a cool and "OK, whatever you want" type of guy (in a situation when you are NOT getting paid), you will end up being in a lot of trouble.

Talk with the drummer in advance and try to reach an agreement. If not, don't even bother. Besides there are countless bands willing to record a free demo. Even with full sample replacement. :devil: