Recording an amp with an SM58

nex666

Jul 18, 2009
I know it's the vocal mic but it's all I've got..same thing inside as an sm57 though right?

I'm just looking for best tips on recording a guitar amp with it. (roland cube 20x)

I've played around a bit but it doesn't sound too good, but I will fiddle around more just to see what I can get...

Would screwing the top cover off help at all and replacing it with something else?

Any tips at all in general..is it best to put the mic gain up or the amp volume up?

I'm a complete noob at this haha

Im not familiar with your particular amp, but I have the Roland Cube 30 and I havent been able
to get a good sound from it with any mic, be it a SM57 or condenser..

Yeah I have a device to record DI (not a great one to be honest)

I just wanted to explore trying to mic the amp to get even an okay tone - advice on this would be great

SM58 is OK mic for amp, just don`t have such highs around 4-4.5 kHz as SM57, so boosting around 4.5 about 3-4 db is good idea.
Basicaly it is very similar to SM57, except mentioned difference and lows are slightly smoother than SM57.
The rest of sound depends on amp and cabinet, it`s not the mic fault.
Try move mic slightly away from grile, something like 2-3 inches, maybe this helps.
Open back cabs does not give such lows as closed ones.
For example: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/519804-adam-d-micing-tips-2.html#post8488976
SM58 (without cap). Only HP is used on guitars in this sample.
For better result I now reducing at 250 Hz, around 3 db and slightly boosting at 4.5 Hz (about 1-2 db).

I find the SM58 has more low mids and less high end than the 57. Mainly because of the basket, remove the basket and it gets quite a bit closer to the 57. No reason you can't get a good recorded sound out of a 58 tbh. If it's not sounding good through a 58 then its either the amp or placement that isn't cutting it.

I made some tests for my bands new recording with a tbone 75 straight and a sm58 angled and it turned out pretty well.
Will start recording a song this week, so samples are coming.