Recording and jamming with the same audio interface

GuitariSteve

Aug 21, 2008
Hello,

I've been looking to purchase an audio interface since months. I'm quite new to this: So far I've played around with a friend's Line 6 Pod Studio GX and an M-audio Fast Track USB.

What I'm aiming for:
- record good demo (pre-prod) tracks for my band. This means recording guitar, bass and vocals. I'll of course stick with VSTs for the drums.
- jam using that audio interface as a sound processor. My amp stays at our rehearsal place so I have nothing to play on at home.

I am using a MacBook Pro and my budget for this audio interface is 150-250 €.

From what I've read, the best bet to record would be an Apogee One + impulses (now that there seems to be quite a few for Mac computers). But I'm not sure I'll be able to use it for the second purpose mentioned. That's why I'm considering buying a Line 6 UX1 (or UX2?) and use it with impulses.
I'd also like to hear the processed sound while recording the guitars.

Are there better options? I'm sorry to ask for such a thing, but I'm very confused and I think my money would benefit greatly from your advice.

Thank you for your time.

I own an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and it works just fine for the type of thing you are talking about. Small, portable, can record DI's and just use free amp sim plugins such as LePou's stuff and impulses. I've also used it to jam with my band when I didn't have an amp/cab available, just ran it into the PA.

EDIT: Ah, you're Mac. I'm not even sure what is available for you since I've never went outside Windows.

I would say grab POD Farm and a Saffire Pro 24 or 14. I'd stay away from Line 6's UX line, everyone i've known to have one of those have had nothing but complaints about them.

My UX2 works fine, when I'm at home. I do wish I had gotten a better interface though, but I picked mine up nearly half off used, so it's whatevs.

Thank you for you suggestions.

So far, I think I'll be purchasing the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. It's cool that it's a firewire interface as it will leave my two USB ports free.

Other options:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro: 145 €
Presonus AudioBox USB: 149 €
Tascam US-144 MK2: 168 €
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL: 199 €

But still, the Saffire Pro 14 seems to be a better purchase. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, when I said "jamming", I was referring to jamming at home alone in front of my computer. So I guess I'll just have to get Pod Farm, as Martin suggested.

I typically just load up REAPER and use an amp sim and impulse, unless I'm really lazy at that given point.

This.

Really no need to buy PODFarm unless that is what you are after. There are plenty of "free" sims out there, but consider making a donation because those dudes are awesome for giving that stuff out!!

I have the exact situation as you man, i use a fast track and lepou amp sims which are free so i'd defnitely suggest that instead of confining yourself to line6 !

FWIW - I use a M-Audio FWsolo when I'm at home or doing remote sessions, and only need 1 mic in.

Never failed me yet.

+1 on reaper, too.

Thank you everybody. I was away for a few days.

I am already using Reaper as DAW. Does the quality of the recording differ much between a fast track and a saffire? Just to know if it's worth the extra money.

Pretty sure the quality of the low-mid range interfaces won't be noticeable. Strings and pickups would make a bigger difference.

If you want to hear any DI or processed guitar tracks I recorded with the Fast Track Pro, PM me and I'll hook you up for a listen.