Recording Engineers opinions needed.

carlo_caci

Jul 10, 2010
midlands England
www.myspace.com
Hi this is my second post but i can assure you I have read the ultimate metal forum for years!

please listen to my recording of my band betrayal.

many people have aproved of the mix but i would love to have the opinion of a recording engineer.

www.myspace.com/betrayalband

thanks in advance.

(hope i get a reply, andy sneaps forum does not seem as active as it used to be, hope im wrong)

If I would have to guess from the mix, I would say that you a guitarist. edit: Or a bass player, now that I listened with headphones.

Thats pretty much all you can hear in the mix. I personally come from FOH background and I like to mix stuff the "radio way"; so when you turn down the volume so that the volume is barely on, the only thing you can hear is the vocals. and maybe snare.

Do the separation test using a laptop; If you take any of Sneap's mixes as reference (like for example Killswitch Engage "Rose of Sharyn" or Machine Head "Imperium" or Roadrunner United "Dawn of the Golden Age") and turn the volume down all the way until it's almost unheardable, only thing you can hear is lead vocals, guitar solos and the snap from the kick, snare and toms. Everything else is just blur at low volume.

On your song all I hear is guitars, overly loud snare and really muffled vocals.

Ive Remixed it again! im very happy with it now, im at the point where i feel satisfyed with niggly bits. perhaps the overheads could come down a few dB but unless you guys think its completley shite then maybe it is finished?

Ciao Carlo,
I think you have some "not small problems" in frequency management... especially in low-mid. So much 300-500Hz that make all recording so... woody and "papery".

I hope to be helpful.
Bye.