Recording for my Nephew

steveW88

Feb 20, 2011
Hello chums!

First of all I'd like to say that this is a lovely forum you have going on here.

Last week my nephew asked if I could help him record. I don't quite know wy he asked me (I think it's because I can play bass), but I accepted. Anyway, I did some homework and tried out some things to show him before he records. I asked him what kind of bands he likes, and he told me he liked For the Fallen Dreams, Attack Attack!, The Eyes of a Traitor and Bring me the Horizon.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5846085/qfternoon%20mix2.wav

The song is (I think) from For the Fallen Dreams, or only a little bit like it. Because I couldn't play the other parts...they're too hard for me :(

Recorded with a Squier Affinity Telecaster on the neck pickup through a toneport GX.

Already I know that there are a few things wrong. The drums are a little bit wonky sounding and the snare doesn't sit very nicely. Also I fear it may be too compressed.

I saw what a helpful bunch of chaps you were and hoped you would maybe give me a few pointers on how to improve this. Please may somebody give me some feedback on how to get it a bit more, well, polished? I would be most grateful if you could help me!

Thank you, chums.

the intro sounds very similar to brothers in arms from ftfd.. that kick has wayyyyyyy tooo much click in it. the snare is buried in there so its hard to hear it, so bring that up.

the intro sounds very similar to brothers in arms from ftfd.. that kick has wayyyyyyy tooo much click in it. the snare is buried in there so its hard to hear it, so bring that up.

yeah, try compressing those drums until they sound real tight. I really like the guitars, though.

Thank you very much for your advice! What about with high-passing? I feel it lacks punch in comparison to my reference mixes as it seems to be to low and airy. Through my monitors it does sound good, but when on other systems it sounds too airy, blegh.

What are you using for your drums? Plug-ins?

Try boosting around 80hz on the kick to give it some more meat and bring the snare up in the mix. Also a +1 on the more compression on those drums.

With highpassing, cut below 30-40hz out to get rid of any rumble that you don't want :)

Hello buddies!

Thank you for all of your advice. I took a break and made two different mixes, one of them has a different master chain to the other. Anyway, see how you like it!

Mix A - Did this on Tuesday!

Mix B - Did this a wee 10 minutes ago! I'm not sure I like it, funnily enough! I took out the sub drops.

Which is your favourite mix?