Recording Guitars

The Rhone

Nov 8, 2006
Bromley, Kent
Need some help.

Ok, I'm new to recording and need some help. Firstly I've got Cubase SX3, a Mackie 32:4 Desk, a POD XT Pro/ with Metal Pack using a M Audio 1010. I want to get as huge as possible guitar sound as I can. Trying to initially mimic Testament The Gathering tone, I know that was done on top gear, but would like to try and get as close as a refernece before I start exploring my own sound. Any tips?

I don't know about testament, but the standard around here is quad tracking (2 tracks 80% LR, 2 tracks 100% LR panning). You just record each rhythm guitar line 4 times as tight as you can and pan them accordingly. :)

I dont think most people quadtrack, a lot only double track. 100% L and R. If you've got the PODXT I think you can apply the amp as a VST after recording? Or maybe thats something else.. if thats the case, combining 2 amps (like the podx3) might lead to good tones too.

Yeah, I would pass on quad-tracking, IME it's always been more trouble than it's worth. Get a good tone, turn the gain JUST high enough so you get some saturated fizz (the good kind) on open low-string palm mutes, and record one take panned hard left, one panned hard right.

I've been a quad-tracker for a long time, and I'm quad-tracking all the heavy rhythms for my current project, but in the end, I might just go with one guitar a side. It can still be just as "big" doubled; it's just a different kind of big.

I've been a quad-tracker for a long time, and I'm quad-tracking all the heavy rhythms for my current project, but in the end, I might just go with one guitar a side. It can still be just as "big" doubled; it's just a different kind of big.

+1
If you're a tight player and not "on the clock", you may as well keep your options open. S'all good practice, innit?