quantizing guitars?

hsinn3r

Dec 26, 2006
do you guys quantize guitars and/or basses at all? i've never tried it, but i just got a hold of cubase sx3, and i'm thinking of trying it... is it worth it? is it as time-consuming as i imagine it to be (a lot :p )?
discuss please :)

do you guys quantize guitars and/or basses at all? i've never tried it, but i just got a hold of cubase sx3, and i'm thinking of trying it... is it worth it? is it as time-consuming as i imagine it to be (a lot :p )?
discuss please :)

I've never had to... i've either mixed stuff that was pretty tightly recorded or made them rerecord their parts...

there no substitute for great playing, no matter how you quantize it...

I will shift chunks a bit here and there on doubled/quadrupled parts that are more staccato/stop start to make them more definite. Not to a note or anything, just to bring them together (so that they are all equally off, as it were :lol: )

Same goes for some kinds of vocals.

I will shift chunks a bit here and there on doubled/quadrupled parts that are more staccato/stop start to make them more definite. Not to a note or anything, just to bring them together (so that they are all equally off, as it were :lol: )

Same goes for some kinds of vocals.

+1
And if i discover something that sounds wrong I try to use a part of the same riff from somewhere else in the song, if possible.

Bass, yes it happens that i move some notes

I do it all the time. Best way to do it is to edit the DI track before you send it to the guitar amp plugin or reamp box. That way you can more easily edit at the transients/pick attack and even timestretch parts better.

obviously, nothing beats a tight tight performance, but ive never actually quantized with beat dectective or anything. i suppose its all within taste really. if you go too far though, you may open up the whole 'lifeless performance' debate, only on the topic of guitars instead of drums!

I do it all the time. Best way to do it is to edit the DI track before you send it to the guitar amp plugin or reamp box. That way you can more easily edit at the transients/pick attack and even timestretch parts better.

+100 (+1 is not enough) that's what I do.
Yes working on the DI track it's faster and better!
Anyway I usually edit bass, guitars and drums and even vocals!
So I usually quantize everything ;) if it needs it

I always had this idea...there's this plug-in called Vocalign, or something like that, its mainly used to sync up back up vocals so that all the syllables in each take perfectly line up...its used alot in pop and R&B stuff, I'm guessing rap too, and I've always wanted to try it on metal guitars...

could someone explain how exactly you quantize guitars? How do you get it precise? Also, do you ever use the audio quantize button on cubase sx3?

I always had this idea...there's this plug-in called Vocalign, or something like that, its mainly used to sync up back up vocals so that all the syllables in each take perfectly line up...its used alot in pop and R&B stuff, I'm guessing rap too, and I've always wanted to try it on metal guitars...

there is also melodyne, which tunes and aligns vocals as you want. i don't think that it'll like distorted guitars though..

oh and thx everyone for answering. i'll try to use it here and there, just to see how it works. when i finish my exams that is, i have to get my degree sometime soon :/

I do it a difficult way. Find the part of the wave that looks like the note being picked, split right before it, then slide it over to match up with a grid or metronome track. Then I drag the beginning of that split track back and blend it with the old part. Wish I could afford to reamp, because doing this to a DI track would be much easier.

I do it a difficult way. Find the part of the wave that looks like the note being picked, split right before it, then slide it over to match up with a grid or metronome track. Then I drag the beginning of that split track back and blend it with the old part. Wish I could afford to reamp, because doing this to a DI track would be much easier.

Why don't you record both the D.I. and Amped signals and keep the D.I. for just for editing purposes?

you don't need a "splitter" ... every D.I. box has a "thru" output. and if you can't afford a D.I. box, well....

you don't need a "splitter" ... every D.I. box has a "thru" output. and if you can't afford a D.I. box, well....

That's the problem.

Edit:
Actually the truth is I CAN afford it now, but I won't be recording another band for quite a while, so it'd be pointless to drop the cash on it until I do.

+100 (+1 is not enough) that's what I do.
Yes working on the DI track it's faster and better!
Anyway I usually edit bass, guitars and drums and even vocals!
So I usually quantize everything ;) if it needs it

+1000....

Having a DI makes it possible in my opinion. Doing it by ear will take you hours and hours more then having a DI track. I do it all the time, especially for AILD type metalcore....gotta have those kicks and guitars locked!