recording live/real drums, cymbal wankery

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
on the project that im working on right now, the "beat" crash isn't very distinct...

for example, during a crash beat, i can't really hear where the hits start, it just sounds like some sort of white noise just ringing over top of the whole part

i'm curious if you've encountered this, what do you guys do about it?

cuz we're done tracking drums, and it sounds like shit.... =[

Yeah I reckon getting the attack from a cymbal sample behind the main OH sound would be the easiest way to do it, if you've took samples of the cymbals during the session then maybe using that would maybe be the best bet.

[

Scream at the drummer, make him do it again.

If you're really desperate, you can always re-track that part with a single spot mic & fly it in and out of the mix. Just be sure to really get on the drummer's case about his sloppy technique.... otherwise you'll have two recordings of a mushy crash cymbal.

on the project that im working on right now, the "beat" crash isn't very distinct...

for example, during a crash beat, i can't really hear where the hits start, it just sounds like some sort of white noise just ringing over top of the whole part

cuz we're done tracking drums, and it sounds like shit.... =[

Happened to me on a project. Had to overcompress the overheads to death. It sounds like it was a heavier cymbal and he didn't dig into it.

Glenn's idea is the best. Also, make a note of the make/model cymbal and if you ever see a drummer bring it in, don't use it.

I have my own set of 15 awesome cymbals that I all know work in a mix context. I recommend dropping some loot on a great set yourself to prevent such bullshit from happening again. If you need some advice on which ones to get, PM me.

i've actually already started a "perfect" cymbal collection

pretty stoked

we actually a/b'd different sets before recording

for some reason these sounded better, but didnt work out

perhaps its my microphones because im noticing a high pitched ringing noise at exactley 8khz

It should be a combination of bad cymbals/bad hit technique.
I noticed this thing yesterday. I listened to one of my old works and the cymbals sound very good and clear. So I listened another work recorded with the same drums but different drummer, and the crashes attack was very less noticeable.

You could just use another sample.. Bogren did this a lot on Katatonia's TGCD.. listen to the chorus of Consternation (among other songs), he's got the normal drums and then a really almost techno cymbal on the left IIRC. Quite subtle but a very cool effect and may work better than the other options.

edit: most obvious at about ;46 between vocals

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mk012(mc012) are quite decent actually unless you have the "fake" Mc-012. You might want to have them modded, though. People say they really shine afterwards.

+1 on the Joly mod. I had it done to my set about a year ago & the results were well worth the cash. Actually, I'd put them up against a KM184 set with no worries.

http://www.oktavamod.com/mk012.html

Micheal does amazing work. Highly recommended!

Here's a "before & after" clip:
http://www.spectresound.ca/stuff/Oktavamod.rar

BTW, only legit Oktavas can be modded. He has a "how to spot a fake" guide on his site.
interesting

i'll post a picutre of mine, next...