RECORDING METAL BACKING VOCALS Meshuggaah/parkwaydrive style

Apr 9, 2004
hey there i'm recording a metal band and we wanna do backin choir vocal style ala meshuggah 's soul burn and parkway drive .....

i've got a sample loaded on the site below called backingvox sample 1 to demonstrate what i'm looking for.....

http://www.myspace.com/soundscape2

please have a listen and let me know how to achieve and record such vocals , and how to arrange who to sing what kind of screams .....

regards
Roland

i think quite clearly the backin vocals were panned left and right 50 % and 100 %

but what about that massive reverb ?

and most impt how do u arrange such vocals to be sung

I've done that before with three singers (50%L, C , 50%R), the right delay and verb on a stereo bus of all three will help make it sound 'bigger'. As for who sings what, I usually get the band to go over things like that themselves before they enter the studio (doesn't always work out though).

I've also done it with a crowd (about 10-15 people) but that creates a much more aggressive sound and only really works with chants (a la Arch Enemy's "Hey").

I think in this style those backs is good.......
But if u wanna to make it more different i recommend u some stereo enhancer

Razorjack said:
I've done that before with three singers (50%L, C , 50%R), the right delay and verb on a stereo bus of all three will help make it sound 'bigger'. As for who sings what, I usually get the band to go over things like that themselves before they enter the studio (doesn't always work out though).

I've also done it with a crowd (about 10-15 people) but that creates a much more aggressive sound and only really works with chants (a la Arch Enemy's "Hey").

Thanks dude ! that helps heaps

anymore suggestions people ?

yeah, id just do a few takes with like 2-3-4 people doing it..do about 4 different versions slap on some reverb hey presto.