5150 w/ Zakkwylde OD recording : Opinions wanted

Apr 9, 2004
hey guys , just spent my last 3 weeks recording a 5150 mk 1 for a band's album and one of the days i decided to use it to record my own songs with the same setup .

signal chain :

Esp LTD baritone ( in Dropped Db ) > Zakk wylde MXR OD > 5150 mk 1 > Mesa boogie Cab & Marshall 1960 with 57s on axis in the middle of the cone > Focusrite Twintrack

settings are close to what andy uses

Download 5150 tone from the myspace page below :
http://www.myspace.com/soundscape2

Opinions wanted !! and i wanna know how to make the guitar tone more solid and a bit less scratchy like andy's tracks

Regards
Roland - aussie assault studios

I think that guitar tone is great, and a lot of what's killing it's Andy factor, is the fact that it's not working with the bass or bass drum as well as it could. Nice work! Good luck.

My problem lies not with the guitars in this mix really, they sound fine too me, really has it good parts Roland..

The kick, i think you would really make the mix better, with a bit more low in the kick.. sounds a bit too clicky to me.. (is that pantera's sample, by the way?)

Good job on the rest of the mix!

The guitar tone was about as good as could be expected out of my crappy little speakers here at work, but I really dug the parts and performance. :headbang:

Been thinking of getting an ESP baritone myself for use in roughly the same tuning. What guage strings do you have on yours?

BNB, spot on dude. it was the pantera kick indeed

yea i agreed with all u guys, and i'm gonna change the kick sample , i didn't scoop the snare though infact i boosted 3 -4 db at 200hz to about 350hz to beef it up

jekobrid : i use 10 - 46s on the baritone for Db so that it's easier to play. i like using lighter gauges becaue it gets too tight if u use anything heavier than 46s in Db and having the baritone in a higher tuning than the B it's made for makes the notes sound clearer. did an A/B with 7 other guitars ( including 2 customs , a JEM , a PRS and Jackson USA ) and this baby came out on top. the guitarist even offered to buy it off me .

and cheers for the comments on the performance ! producing urself is a pain in the arse...never know when to stop redoing it.....hahahah

cheers for the comments guys , will fix up the stuff u guys mentioned and also record a real drummer this time round

Toolish, just had another listen, and yeah, the performance is top notch.. the tone is wicked as well..

The pantera kick never worked out for, due to it being so trebly.. same goes for the snare they have, however, when i tried a bit of a pantera cover, adjusted the guitar tone and bass, it did sound more convincing then just slapping those kick and snare samples in my projects.. so i think blending is the way to go for those samples, but replacing them 100% has never worked out for me properly...