Moving from homestudio to semi-pro studio w/mixing/recording room

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hey folks!!! I´m very glad cause I´m going to make a dream come true: To have my own studio.
I´d need your advice to improve equipment and stuff, my budget (only for preamps&mikes, not cables, patches,etc) is 6000€, don´t wanna spend more cause that will make increase my rates automatically.

What I have:

AMP: PEAVEY 5150 II|XXX
CABS: MESA 4x12 V30|PEAVEY XXX 4X12
FX: TC G-MAJOR 2|ASTONE OD|MXR PHASER|DIGITECH CHORUS|
I/O: FOCUSRITE LIQUID SAFFIRE 56|OCTOPRE
PREAMPS: TL AUDIO PA-1 VALVE DUAL PREAMP
OUTBOARD: FMR PBC-6A|RNC 1773|
TC POWERCORE|LIQUID MIX|UAD-1|SSD 3.5|BBE MAXIMIZER
DAW: SONAR PRODUCER EDITION 8
MONITOR: FOSTEX 6,5"
MICS: T.BONE DC4000|57s|I5|SCT 2000|SM58

What I´m thinking to buy
:

Stereo pair AKG 214
D6, SM91 or similar
2X MD421
A good condenser for vocals, besides my STC2000
Preamps: - TL Audio Fat Track (2 channel tube pre, also for summing),
- SSL Xlogic Alpha VHD HERE OR
- Focusrite ISA 428 HERE
AD/DA CONVERSOR: RME ADI 8 DS HERE

Also, I´m questioning the way to record, I mean, I´m planning to have 24 channels in all, 8 high end, and the other 16 for less important tracks, as triggers, subkick an so...all connected thru ADAT and then thru fireware to my CPU, but other option would be to buy and ADAT interface like RME Hammerfall, with 24 I/O adat and buy some mixer (TASCAM DM3200 or similar)
and then use it as a mixer (using it´s DSP FX, such as Reverb in real time) and preamps...

Well, sorry for the sermon, what do you think guys??

Congratulations man!!!

I can really recommend the Crane Song spider if you have the money for it. It will give you 8 preamps and 10ch. of A/D.

You can also get a Focusrite Red 1 pretty cheap nowdays, or API 3124+ etc etc.

And i can recommend Oktava mk-012 or the more expensive shure km141, for the overheads.

And Peluso 2247LE for vocals, guitars etc. It is really a great cheap high end mic.

Good luck to you, and post some pictures of your studio :)

avoid anything new with Tlaudio written on it.
Dog shit.
id also advise against the isa428 (own and use it everyday) there are FAR better pres out there. The Api 3124 for one!
Crillemannen made ace suggestions.

Get a pair of 414's instead. That way you'll have an excellent stereo pair and a fucking great vocal mic as well! :)

Based on what? I use a TLA VTC24 console every now and then and often track through an M4, and they sound great. Really nice sounding preamps and EQ's.

+1. I´ve got also TL Audio PA1 (same pre like M-1F console) and I´m pretty happy with it. The idea to get those AKG214 is to get something similar to the 414´s but half the price, is there a big difference??

Get a pair of 414's instead. That way you'll have an excellent stereo pair and a fucking great vocal mic as well!!:)

+1 on the 414's. You can buy a used one in good shape for the same price as a new 214..sometimes even cheaper.

Maybe even save some money so that if you have to modify the acoustics of your rooms (including control room) you can. And that will play a HUGE role in the quality of the recordings.

Best of luck.

+1 for the Lunchbox, I'm saving money atm for API Stuff.

I'm in love with the ISA one, too. IMHO a pretty cool preamp, he's clean and sounds very consistently.

I own a TLA FatMAn, its ok, but nothing really special, got it for a ridiciously good price(50€), so I couldn't say no^^

Your 24 channel way is cool, I think, we did pretty much the same, FF800+Multiface+Octopre and it runs firm with no droputs etc.
Personally, I wouldn't do that thing with the Tascam.

Yeah, that´s another option I have in mind, to upgrade my saffire to a FF800, that If I remember right, has 16 ADAT I/O too. I saw it has FW800 output, does it gives any relevant improve to the standar FW400???
And, how are these 4 preamps of the FF800?

The pres are definately worth the money, imho.
I mean, you pay nearly the same for one API Pre as for the FF400...
They are ok, if your in need for additional pres, you'll be glad to have these ones;)

Talked to RME a while ago bout the FW800 thing, you only need 800 if you "daisychain" two FF800's.
Not wanna do a commercial thing, but I'm a happy Rme user since I bought one.

They aren't exactly the best. Certainly nowhere near as good as API stuff. I did a shootout between them and a couple other budget pres for heavy guitars here (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/569208-fireface-800-vs-rnp-clusterfuck-shootout.html) if you're interested.

Very usefull mate, thank you.

Well, so focusing on the high end preamps I consider:

Focusrite: - Red 1
- ISA 428

API: +3124, or 4x 512 (out of my budget)

SSL: Xlogic Alpha VHD

Daking Mic Pre IV

Anything from UA, NEVE??

Also, do you have any predilect strip channel??

UA, Neve, API....

It is amazing how fast $6000 (don't know how to make the euro symbol.. sorry) gets eaten up.

The Saffire 56 falls into the range of a lot of stuff. So I would pass on the RME. If you want to do converters go to the next level. Apogee, Mytek, Lynx Aurora, Crane Song, UA, etc.

For pres, I would try to get a couple API flavor and Neve Flavor.

In general, since you have a big chunk to spend now. I would get as nice stuff as you can. I think it is way better to have 4-8 channels of pro-level gear instead of 24-channels of crap. You will be doing a lot more low channel count work than high channel count. And the low channel count stuff (guitars, vocals) will matter a lot. Then on things like drums, you have 4-8 channels to get the things that count, and sample replace the rest.

Then with mics, better to have 1 or 2 really nice ones, than a bunch of crappy ones. Also having some big name mics can bring bigger clients... shouldn't be the case... but it is true.

Looking at your gearlist...I would focus on better monitors, better pres, and then some good mics. SM57 covers a lot of ground in the metal field. Maybe an SM7 for screamers. Mojave, or Neuman for vocals. Or the 414 is a great multi-use mic.

In the mic world, there are some gems in the mid-line stuff. Oktava, Studio Projects, Audio-Technica, Oktavamod and Jolly stuff, Mojave, Avantone, etc.

Pres for me just make life easier. Especially the colored ones ala Neve, API, Pacifica, Daking, etc. I would take a close look at the API Lunch box or one of the clones. There are some sweet Neve clones for cheap, GAP, Chameleon labs...

You will have no trouble with the converters you have at this point. If you just need channels, go super cheap with a Behry ADA8000 or Presonus or more Focusrite.

But Monitors, those Fostex's are pretty good for the money. But no point having amazing gear if you can't hear WTF is going on! Drop some cash on those and you will never have to look back.

But going with the stuff most of us drool about right away, there will be no upgrade, or stretching for better. Just different flavors...

Yeah, definitely I prefer 4-8 good preamps than 24 crapy. As I said, the budget is only for preamps + mikes. 214/414 I want them for OH´s mainly, and also acoustic guitars...is it a good choice??
Well, to sum all up:
API: lunch box + some 512 or 3124+
DAKING OR FOCUSRITE RED 1 OR NEVE, oh f*** what a impossible decission

May be the question would be easier if a ask you: Hey, what would you buy for your own studio according to your tastes and with 6000-7000 € in your pocket?? Knowing you have to buy 8 stellar preamps, a good converter and some mikes to complete the set.¿?¿?