Recording Metalcore! HELP PLZ!

Frostmind

New Metal Member
Jun 14, 2008
Hey! First of all I'm going to introduce myself XD, Im Mike and this is my first post! Ok, i've been reading lots of posts in the andy sneap forum and it is absolutely incredible, but im gonna need some extra help, so here is my problem:

EDIT: Thanks for your help guys! it was really really useful at that time, now its been a while since this post, but ive learned a lot, i mean A LOT from this place! so thanks, i promise to keep active in this forum since now!

:headbang:

MIKE

Yeah, I gotta agree, though I will welcome you and say that this place rules, and I hope you like it! The stuff your asking has been covered a lot, though, so I think you'll find a lot of what your looking for by searching. Good luck though, and if after searching you still have more specific questions, let us know!

Oh, and what mics do you have, and what interface are you plugging in to?

Frostmind said:
-Cubase SX

Good.

Frostmind said:
-EZDrummer (With Drumkits from hell expansion)

I think you will be happier if you used a real drummer.

Frostmind said:
-Ex-350 LTD/ESP Guitar

Cool axe, I would maybe change the pups to actual EMGs and get rid of those HZs.

Frostmind said:
-Line6 POD 2.0
-10 Watts amp ( XD it could be useful?)

Sell both of those, or just the POD at least. Either get a good amp or buy ReValver MKIII or PODxt w/ Metal Shop pack or PODX3.

Frostmind said:
Alsoo ive been trying to record some screams and growls but they seems to be dog's barks jeje, also i need a little help with this XD.

For questions on how to make something sound better, the best thing to do is post a clip. It will make it a lot easier for us to help you out.

Frostmind said:
...and also a cool stup or preset/effect of the pod to make the guitar sound like AILD guitars...

POD2.0 will not sound like AILD, unfortunately.

~006

Do lots of searches in this forum and wiki anything else you might need for clarification. Search for mic techniques, impulse response, vocal recording, revIII, EZ drummer, and anything else you're looking for.

Once you've reached the end of usefulness in the search, record as much as you can and if you still need help, upload some clips somewhere and post them here for specific questions. Doesn't hurt to read the 4 stickies we got here, tons of info that go far beyond the original question. Invaluable to say the least.

Cheers and best of luck! Welcome to the forum.
-Andrew

-Cubase SX
-EZDrummer (With Drumkits from hell expansion)
-Ex-350 LTD/ESP Guitar
-Line6 POD 2.0
-10 Watts amp ( XD it could be useful?)

Alsoo ive been trying to record some screams and growls but they seems to be dog's barks jeje, also i need a little help with this XD.

Hey dude! Cubase is fine to record stuff on, though I'd recommend trying a few other programs to see if you prefer their workflow better. If it helps you get the job done easier, then it'll help you making better sounding mixes. EZdrummer is cool but it's never gonna sound exactly like the real thing. I'm a firm believer on the drum sound sorta like being like the foundation to a house. If you have a not so great foundation, the rest is going to be a bit wobbly.

If it's the AILD guitar sound you're after (and fair enough, An Ocean Between Us' guitar tone was awesome), your Line6 and 10 watt amp just ain't gonna cut it unfortunately. However, keep hold of your amp because it might have a cool tone you can get out of it that you can use for a wierd sounding section or something. Like 006 said, if you're going with a POD, PodXT is the way forward. However if it's the real deal you're after, you need a tube amp. Peavey 5150/6505 are the metal industry's workhorse, and are fairly cheap as far as tube amps go. Do a search for 'reamping' on here too.

For screams, dynamic microphones (Shure Beta 58 is my go-to mic for screamers), compression on the preamp and PSP VintageWarmer 2 is what's working for me right now. With all the above, experiment. And just read on here a lot, you'll find some great tips if you look (and lurk) hard enough. :)

Also, as far as guitar tones...there are a lot of members on this forum, including myself, that will reamp your guitar tracks for free. In that case, you could save a lot of money not buying an amp and just buy a good DI box. If you are unfamiliar with what reamping is, check this thread out to get an idea. It's one of the neatest studio tricks and it really helps people out if they don't have a good enough amp for their project but somebody else does and is willing to reamp for them :)

~006