recording/mixing AC/DC - SOS article

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
check it out - i thought it was really cool to read.
also makes you wonder about how this few layers = big tone approach would work out in a metal scenario rather than a rock one....

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan09/articles/itfraser.htm

anyways, just a little heads up :)

ah, one OT question: does anyone know what amp was used to record the andy sneap speaker comparison clips?
edit: nevermind, found it. 5150 with ts9...interesting...

I read that a couple of weeks back and found it rather inspiring,but he does make a point of saying having great players to begin with with great gear/tones and ofcourse his job is to capture that in what seems a great studio.
Makes it sound easy which i guess for him it is,and having Brendon O Brian as producer.......

Bloody Impressive.

"People are losing the art of recording, and the new engineers just seem to grab for the plug-ins and Auto-Tune things and place the drums in a grid. But you don't need to do that if you're working with a great band."

great band. See that´s the problem, you don´t get those everyday. He does make a point, but like all old people, they seem afraid of technology. Still, a great read and a great engineer indeed

"People are losing the art of recording, and the new engineers just seem to grab for the plug-ins and Auto-Tune things and place the drums in a grid. But you don't need to do that if you're working with a great band."

great band. See that´s the problem, you don´t get those everyday. He does make a point, but like all old people, they seem afraid of technology. Still, a great read and a great engineer indeed

You think so?Older guys being afraid of technology.
I never thought of it like that,but you may have a point there.What i think and it's just my personal feeling is that over the years there ears have adapted to the Analogue sound.
And most prefer to play with KNOBS....LOL!
Most of the music i grew up listening too was all done that way Analogue,but i also love alot of modern ITB productions also.

Thanks for the link, AC/DC was my first heavy rock love and it doesn't seem to go away. Overall I don't think the album sounds as good as SUL but it's interesting to read. I just don't get what he says about double tracking guitars. If he puts one guitar in each speaker that's already double tracking isn't it?

Thanks for the link, AC/DC was my first heavy rock love and it doesn't seem to go away. Overall I don't think the album sounds as good as SUL but it's interesting to read. I just don't get what he says about double tracking guitars. If he puts one guitar in each speaker that's already double tracking isn't it?

that's one guitar track per player, so technically none of them really doubled their own parts.

as for the short cables, well maybe in those real big studios with huge liverooms and whatnot it's easy to use a much longer cable that anyone in a "normal" studio would ever need, and i guess at some length there will be some loss in tone.
i highly doubt that this could happen with a 10 or 20ft cable though.

btw, i remember an interview with anthrax where they said the same thing about keeping cable lengths as short as humanly possible....iirc they even used patch cables to connect their guitars to the amps/stompboxes whatever.
edit: maybe it's also more apparent when using really low gain sounds, produced by taking the guitar signal only and boosting it to real high volume level? after all, in metal there's lots of fizzy distortion crap going on all the time, it's much harder to notice subtleties. i could imagine it's a bit different for stuff like ac/dc, where it's really only angus and malcolms hands that are producing that classic acdc punch.

another note on the cable thing, there's manufacturers like vovox who are selling what's supposed to be the absolute highest end cables - for a horrendous price btw. there are lotsa debates over if it even makes a difference (some people claim there's a huge difference, other can't hear no difference at all), as technically they are working the same way, just higher value components if that.
fwiw, i'm using vovox cables to connect my monitoring rig to the fireface, and while i felt there is a difference, it wasn't a huge one by any means....
sorry for the OT

Great stuff, thanks for posting!

"Black Ice" does sound great, and I need to give it more of a chance (not a big fan of Brian Johnson's vocals past Back In Black, and the guitars are a little bit undergained sounding compared to their previous stuff, but I can get past these things I suppose.)

I think Mike Fraser is absolutely right about analog vs. digital. However, I think digital sounds better for the type of music most of us do here. It's pretty much impossible to get fast, aggressive drums to sound as percussive and precise in analog. For slower music, analog wins.