AC/DC are they metal iyo?

Fuck yeah. Of course AC/DC was at the top of the METAL pantheon in the 80s; who doesn't know that???

Get all the Bon Scott albums, and Back In Black, then maybe the next 2 or 3, but 90s AC/DC is stupid....

Fuck yeah. Of course AC/DC was at the top of the METAL pantheon in the 80s; who doesn't know that???

Not really. They were one of the most popular heavy rock bands, but they were never metal.

You'll know when things are metal or not by when I leave the threads regarding them open or close them. I do not consider AC/DC metal, and do not generally condone AC/DC discussion, but I suppose it could be allowed unless it reaches a point where everyone is talking about them...which shouldn't really occur.

You just lost all your metal points in one post.

That takes talent.
Not really. I hate AC DCs music, and they certainly aren't a metal band. I'm not saying they suck, just that I really dislike their music, which shouldn't be that surprising, considering I'm much more into the extreme side of metal. Hell, I'd rather listen to Slipknot than Led Zeppelin (a band I respect as musicians, but whose music I hate).

id rather listen to slipknot than AC/DC also, that guys vocals sound like elmo
and im sure people probably thought they were heavy back then.

Even when AC DC started out, Black Sabbath was already around, and they were much heavier than AC DC. And it wasn't long before Judas Priest started getting big, with the whole NWOBHM movement on its heels.

I admit in the 70's with Sabbath and shit, AC/DC was considered metal but.. i swear to god this is true. I was watching TV and there was a commercial about wallmart and stuff.. and it was all about showing these like.. 12-14 yr old girls wearing acdc shirts and how much they loved them and the girls seemed to state how much they loved to "rock" every 10 seconds and i realized by the end of the commercial i felt sick to my stomach. So no longer is ACDC metal and now they are POP. You have to admit im right. I know it hurts. But prove me wrong. :erk:

i would never say tht AC/DC was or is metal, but we cant deny their impact on metal. i mean, Agnus Young was writing riff tht inspired loads of guitarists

Not really. I hate AC DCs music, and they certainly aren't a metal band. I'm not saying they suck, just that I really dislike their music, which shouldn't be that surprising, considering I'm much more into the extreme side of metal. Hell, I'd rather listen to Slipknot than Led Zeppelin (a band I respect as musicians, but whose music I hate).

Ok.. that is still gay :lol:

Even when AC DC started out, Black Sabbath was already around, and they were much heavier than AC DC. And it wasn't long before Judas Priest started getting big, with the whole NWOBHM movement on its heels.

Yes Sabbath were heavier but thats like saying Slayer were/are Heavier then Metallica so Metallica isn't metal or thrash etc... in their day... for it's day AC/DC was considered metal by all at the time... thats what people don't get... you are comparing them to now and not when they first came out... the "metal community" at the time considered them metal... just like certain bands today are considered BM and might not be in 20 years by the new generation of metalheads like you are doing now to bands of the past.... to everyone Sabbath was the only metal band from 1968 to about 1975 and that is just not true... other then Sabbath, AC/DC at the time were heavier then anyone else till Motorhead and the NWOBHM came out... by today's standards yes AC/DC, Purple etc.. are hard rock but by what was out in the early to mid 70's they were heavier and metal then anything else that was out there... you had Grateful Dead, Peter Frampton, Crosby/Stills/Nash/Young, David Bowie, etc. out in those days... for christ sakes lol ...

Musically they are about as pure rock and roll as you can get (apart from a few metalish riffs s/a "Let There Be Rock"), lyrically they are even more purely rock and roll. Notice that the main theme present in their music is rock and roll. They don't fit into the evolution of metal as we know it today regardless of what they were considered by whoever when they came out. Their influence on later metal is negligible. If a band who followed the three chord rock formula almost without derivation and whose entire output is devoted to the concept of rock isn't a rock band, what is?

It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock & Roll)
Rock & Roll Singer
Rocker
There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'
Let There Be Rock
Rock & Roll Damnation
Rock & Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)
That's the Way I Wanna Rock & Roll
Rock Your Heart Out
Can't Stop Rock & Roll

...yeah, I'd say they were a rock band.

So I take it you think Motorhead is rock as well, based on the criteria you use?

(note: sorry if this was already commented on in the preceding 5 pages - I'm not reading all that shit)

Not really. They were one of the most popular heavy rock bands, but they were never metal.

You'll know when things are metal or not by when I leave the threads regarding them open or close them. I do not consider AC/DC metal, and do not generally condone AC/DC discussion, but I suppose it could be allowed unless it reaches a point where everyone is talking about them...which shouldn't really occur.

AC/DC is clearly a borderline case, so I don't see what makes you so certain that this thread has no right to exist. There is such a thing as gray area...

So I take it you think Motorhead is rock as well, based on the criteria you use?

(note: sorry if this was already commented on in the preceding 5 pages - I'm not reading all that shit)

+ 10 exactly Vihris... I didn't know there was a rule that if you use the word "rock" so much you can't be anything else but a regular rock band... I see Sabbath and AC/DC as two examples of metal done differently and influencing later bands to take it a step further... Sabbath of course influenced doom and similar metal bands/genre's while AC/DC had a influence in "rock" tinged metal like Motorhead which was the band for the next natural progression in that area... Metal like all other music evolves and what is considered metal now may not be 20 years from now but that doesn't make it any less metal for it's time and future history...

Actually, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc....all of the bands from then who influenced metal twenty years ago all the way to today. Guess what...they're STILL metal. AC/DC are not and have never been. They have always been arena rock-style stuff. They were heavy for their time, and I'm sure they have influenced metal bands, but that is not enough to call them metal themselves, in my opinion. Whereas most Black Sabbath songs, for instance, have compositional depth in the form of narrative structures or even just plain old epic/long songs with drawn-out instrumental sections (a big thing in metal and for the development of the instrumental capability prevalent in a lot of extreme metal, as well as the atmosphere of black metal, I would even say), AC/DC never did anything like this. They have always been verse-chorus-verse vanilla rock.

@vihris-gari: So on a gardening forum, if someone made a thread about synthetic plants, it wouldn't be grounds for deletion or closing/locking in the GENERAL GARDENING DISCUSSION section of the site? What?!

I admit in the 70's with Sabbath and shit, AC/DC was considered metal but.. i swear to god this is true. I was watching TV and there was a commercial about wallmart and stuff.. and it was all about showing these like.. 12-14 yr old girls wearing acdc shirts and how much they loved them and the girls seemed to state how much they loved to "rock" every 10 seconds and i realized by the end of the commercial i felt sick to my stomach. So no longer is ACDC metal and now they are POP. You have to admit im right. I know it hurts. But prove me wrong. :erk:

lol i agree

So it's gay to not like ACDC and Zeppelin? I guess I'm gay then.

That'll teach you. :p

@V5: The thread about synthetic plants wouldn't be grounds for deletion if it were discussing whether the plant in question is actually synthetic. ;)

I don't typically refer to AC/DC as metal, but since their style of music shares many elements with metal (and, arguably, many fans as well), I don't see them as being out of place in a metal discussion forum. Not that they'd make for a very interesting discussion...

I just get annoyed when people try to draw the 'metal/non-metal' line where there's gray area. Seems to me like more of an exercise in musical elitism than anything else.