Recording One Drum at a Time

trashmetalx

New Metal Member
Jun 3, 2010
Hey dudes!

Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried recording one mic at a time for drums. Say if all you have is a one-preamp interface. You could have the drummer play the song 8-12 times or however many you want. You could just edit....

Haha. Just wondering if anyone has every used this time-killing technique before.

we discussed this at practice already. I have a 2 input Fast Track Pro. It would take forever though. Im sure the results would be nice and clean...but...fuck.

I imagine this would be really difficult when it comes to fills to be honest.

I'd rather record stereo overheads and have triggers on the drums, outputting midi from a module into the midi in of your interface. Would take way less time.

It would be an absolute nightmare with all the bleed, not even feasible

That's a good point. If you're talking about having him play the whole kit and only record one mic that's NEVER going to work out.

If you just recorded him only playing one drum at a time then it could be done. But would be a pain in the ass.

donald fagen & walter becker of *steely dan used to record each drum individually to achieve a hyper produced drum kit. (steely dan used the first solution to programming live drums from samples too, btw).

the eagles have done this as well.

i don't think doing this method is necessary any more.

just invest in some mics or acquire a drum plug-in instrument like sd2.0/bfd etc.

You could do with 2channels of OH with decent microphones and pre's and then program in the snare and kick, if you where to edit the drums. Or rent a place for drum recordings...

I tried this a long time ago.
The editing that comes with it is gay.
The bleed is sometimes really out of phase, or delayed, or something that you don't want on your record.
Not a good idea.
I'd say record both overheads on 1 take, then record a room, take samples of the drum and program the track with it, and use the OH you've recorded.
This will give you the best results if you're working on a 2-tracks interface. Otherwise, program the drums in MIDI and record the OH.