recording punkrock band, tips!?

May 17, 2007
Germany
www.facebook.com
so I`m gonna record this punkrock/alt. band in a month and I just thought about it..., actually, I never tried to get a shitty guitar sound on purpose. so this is my question: HOW DO THEY DO IT?
hahaha, yeah, anybody know what kids like nofx, milllencolin etc. use ampwise? drums seem to be similar to metal, drop the kick, bring up the snare to 11 :)

but check out the bass tone from NOFX! that sure is sweet. it`s like this "wet" sound. how do you get that sound? def. amp tone, not only DI, I guess...
(and this guy I`m gonna record actually studied bass and seems to have some nice gear, so I`m really stoked! I mean, how often do you record bass and go like..., ah yeah whatever, DI is ok, bass sux anyways :)

I think for that punk guitar tone open back cabs seem to have that sloppy punk sound. I know alot of punk dudes who swear by open back combo amps.

I'm telling the punkbands that I won't try to make them sound shitty on purpose.
last time I've used a TS-boosted Rectifier and an EMG equipped guitar...nothing too un-metal ;).

cranked Marshalls work great as well....so do Oranges.
also very good is Mesa's Mark-Series (Pennywise are using the Quad-Pre as far as I know).

so what I'm trying to say is: you'll be able to get a punk-sound out of any equipment ;)

Shit, some punk records sound amazing. Take Green Day's American Idiot for example. I love the guitar sounds they get, totally badass, the drums are nice and big and punchy, and the bass totally cuts. Really not unlike a metal record at all. And fuck anyone who doesn't consider it true punk - those guys have earned the title more than ever with that album.

Use really good gear to get the harsh sounds. Punks tend to like vintage stuff also. The genre has really grown and I don't think you should think of it as "shitty sounding" if you want to enjoy the process.

Funny, I'm starting a session today, the band is something between punk-jazz-garage-rock-avantgarde-whatever. More punk, tho'. I've been trying to come up with a plan on how to set them up in the room, since I think they'll be wanting to record the basics live. With only one headphone feed (with multiple outs) this will be a bit difficult. And trying to tame all the bleeds between the instruments etc.. :ill:
I've only done metal recently, or anything else where we mostly record everything separately, so this is a bit of a challenge for me.

But then again.. it's punk, right?

We'll probably be using some sort of Marshall amp or the JCM-800 in the studio plus a plethora of pedals (ooh! always wanted to use that word!).
Maybe stick a 57 in there or if the bleed is god-awful, I'll try the M201TG.
Bass direct+amp (Yamaha something). Re-amping everything if it all goes wonky.

The latest NOFX records sound far from "shitty" and punk production wise. NOFX has always had a very hifi metal influenced production. If that's what you're going for, I'd use the same gear as on metal productions (5150, mesa, jcm800). Just use less gain. Same goes for the drum sounds... Just make them a bit more dry and try to use the natural sounds as much as possible. Don't be afraid to use samples to enhance the original sounds. If you're going for that modern sound, check out anything mixed by CLA (Rise Against, Green Day) or Jason Livermore/Bill Stevenson (NOFX, Comeback Kid).

There's some awesome sounding "modern" punk/hardcore stuff that's not produced on massive budgets. Kurt Ballou (Converge) for instance, does some really cool stuff with the bands he works with. The last AlexisOnFire album sounds fanstastic too. Not traditional punk or hardcore, but fucking cool nevertheless.

Some of the Fugazi stuff sounds fantastic too....

Here's a short clip
Guitars (double tracked):
Les Paul (a better option would be an SG with P90's)
Tube Screamer
Marshall JCM900 with every pots at 12' oclock ( jcm800 or JMP MKII are more suitable though)
4x12 with V30
Cheap ribbon mic (t-bone rb500/Apex 205/Nady...)

Bass: ( the strings must be bashed to get a shitload of mids!)
Fender Jazz Bass
Ampeg SVT III
Matching 8x10
Audix D4
DI

Here's a short clip
Guitars (double tracked):
Les Paul (a better option would be an SG with P90's)
Tube Screamer
Marshall JCM900 with everything at 12' oclock ( jcm800 or JMP MKII are more suitable though)
4x12 with V30
Cheap ribbon mic (t-bone rb500/Apex 205/Nady...)

Bass: ( the strings must be bashed to get a shitload of mids!)
Fender Jazz Bass
Ampeg SVT III
Audix D4
DI

sounds really good!