Recording rehearsals

deckrg

Jun 30, 2010
Portugal
Hey, so the deal is my band wants to record our rehearsals, only to keep track of our progress and jam's, because we've lost good songs or parts made on jam's because we can't quite remember them well enough.

2a4y6pv.png

This poorly paint made image should illustrate our current space, and our plan's on mic placement.

So my question is should we use condenser mic's or a regular sm 58 and how many/what directions should we point them ?

Thanks in advance.

i would put one condenser recording 360 in front of the 2 amps and vocals....

with my band i was using a Zoom portable recorded and it sounded pretty good...

The main problem you'll have recording rehearsals is that generally the drums are always too loud.

You can get good results in my experience by setting up 2 dynamic mic's in a spaced pair facing away from the drum kit. Experiment with placement to get a good balance. I find it's best to keep the mic's low to the ground to keep the cymbal level low.

depends on how many channels you have available.

if you can - record:
Gtr1, gtr2, bass di, vox mic split, stereo drums.

That's a demo recording with only 5-6 channels.

How many mics/inputs do you have? With 8 tracks (Firepod etc.) I'd go

1 Kick (D112, D6 or similar dynamic)
2 Snare (SM57 or similar dynamic)
3 Bass (DI)
4 Guitar 1 (SM57 or similar dynamic)
5 Guitar 2 (SM57 or similar dynamic)
6 Vocals 1 (SM58 or similar dynamic)
7 Vocals 2 (SM58 or similar dynamic)
8 Room (Condenser)

As the rehearsal place is not only ours we have time to set-up 2 mic's at the most. When we are recording we use DI's with impulses + midi drums with my 2 input usb interface (edirol ua-25).

I'm just trying to achieve some clarity so we can list to our stuff post rehearsal and check our jam's/work on the new music, so as long as every instrument is audible/perceptible its fine, I'm really just trying to capture the vibe of our songs nothing to fancy.

Thanks for the reply's.