Thinking of buying a bunch of stuff after summer

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Any suggestions?

I currently have the RME card and Genelec monitors, which I am pretty happy with, they made my mixing experience a whole lot easier and better. Because we Finns usually get assraped in prices, think same price in dollars. And I am not looking second hand stuff, but to buy this stuff new. But what I need is:

2 CH PREAMP

I already have the one channel SPL Track One on my portable rack which rocks for vocals, but now I need a good 2 channel preamp for my homestudio. The 8 channel SM Pro Audio PR8E I have pretty much sucks balls, each channel sounds different and the noise to signal ratio is pretty lousy and the input gain control is really unreliable.

Requirements:
- 2 channels
- a rackmodel or half rackunit (there is still half an unit free next to my RME)
- 1-2U in height
- preferrably as transparent as possible, but tubeamps are okay too
- must have a compressor, an eq and pad would be a bonus
- somewhere between 400-800€ pricerange

A BETTER GUITAR

I currently have two and they both suck. I think I will go and sell them off and buy a better one.

Requirements:
- I prefer Les Paul -type guitars
- Passive pickups preferred because I hate to rely on batteries
- Somewhere between 600-1000€

LARGE DIAPHRAGM CONDENSER MIC

I have two handheld mics, but I would rather get something decent for vocals, but I think Neumann U87 is really overhyped. When we compared it to C414 at the university, the difference was really really subtle. I did hear that the the t.bone SCT-800 is a Neumann clone, any experiences on them?

Requirements:
- Pad, hipass-filter and selectable pattern would be nice (omni, 8, cardioid etc)
- It would be nice if they were available in matched pairs
- Somewhere between 200-800€ a piece

For the mic i guess the rest of the guys here will know better than me so i ll pass on that.

For the guitar now.Price range and LP style leads you to this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_ec1000_fm_asb.htm
:headbang:

+1 You could also check out some of the Japenese made Tokai and the Edwards series. Edwards is the japanese market only version of ESPs. You can get some for the price of a LTD and at the quality of an ESP.

motomoto: I think he was wanting Mic preamps (unless you were referring to that thread a while back :p)

A BETTER GUITAR

I currently have two and they both suck. I think I will go and sell them off and buy a better one.

Requirements:
- I prefer Les Paul -type guitars
- Passive pickups preferred because I hate to rely on batteries
- Somewhere between 600-1000€

I really don't get what all the fuss is about the batteries.

A standard 9v battery will give you 3,625 hours of use approx for a pair of EMG humbuckers. When you unplug the guitar lead there is no power used at all.

Even if you did leave the lead plugged in, the battery would last 151 days!

If you are unsure of the battery, just flip open the cover, stick the battery terminals on you tounge to feel if it's got juice and pop it back in or put a fresh one in for a couple of Euros!

Or a passive-equipped ESP LTD EC-500 if you don't wanna spend the money for an Edwards; my EC-400 from a few years ago is built fantastically, I can't find a single fault with it! As for preamps, FMR RNP without a doubt!

But if your only reason for not wanting actives is dealing with the battery, it's SO freakin' minor, just change it once a month (if that) and you'll be fine, trust me - it's worth it! :headbang:

GTSSOLOCLASFCSB.jpg

Thats the new Schecter Les Paul style guitar :p

Check out the RNP as well as the Black Lion Audio one, can't remember what its called. Neither has a compressor but I highly doubt you actually need one that badly.

Joe

2 CH PREAMP

I already have the one channel SPL Track One on my portable rack which rocks for vocals, but now I need a good 2 channel preamp for my homestudio. The 8 channel SM Pro Audio PR8E I have pretty much sucks balls, each channel sounds different and the noise to signal ratio is pretty lousy and the input gain control is really unreliable.

Requirements:
- 2 channels
- a rackmodel or half rackunit (there is still half an unit free next to my RME)
- 1-2U in height
- preferrably as transparent as possible, but tubeamps are okay too
- must have a compressor, an eq and pad would be a bonus
- somewhere between 400-800€ pricerange

Maybe a Audient Mico? it's supposed to be really transparent sounding

http://www.musicstore.de:80/en_EN/GBP/Audient-Mico-2-Ch-Class-A-Mic/Line-Preamp/art-REC0005748-000

as for mics, i would highly recommend the Shure sm7... i know, you asked for a LDC, but if its for vox, i would so recommend this. i've used several diff types of mics (GT-55, rode ntk, Behringers, Studio projects or something like that, etc) and the Shure has quickly become my fav for vox. been hearing about it for years, but was hesistant to throw down that much for a dynamic mic. but its worth it

Guitar: 80's Greco/Burny LP. My '84 Greco has serious resonance going on unplugged. Absolutely kills my Schecter for tone.

Preamp: Safesound P1. Preamp + Comp, I think Lasse will back me up on that.

Mic: M-audio Sputnik