Recording Sansamp PSA-1 - tips

siegfried

Apr 11, 2008
Czech Republic
Hello, I just bought PSA-1 and trying to figure out how to record great higain guitar tones thru it. Do you have any tips, please? I just found that it sounds very good with impulse of Krank cabinet...

I forgot to mention I´m talking about preset 24 ("Rectifier" i think) with added some HIGH and CRUNCH and then Krank impulse is applied. Very cute sound i think :)

I've only recorded my PSA-1 as a preamp thru a power amp and cab. It really sounds great when mic'ed.

I too am interested to see if anyone has applied impulses to this via direct recording.

Necromancer: i understand, there are not much samples on internet I think :) But if you hear it once that you can easily hear it in many band´s records, It is surprisingly how many famous metal guys are using it... The problem is that my guitar skills are terrible :) Maybe i´ll post some sample...

BTW i have older one (psa-1), I heart that the new one Psa-1.1 is worse than the original unit due to cheaper components inside. Is it true?

Necromancer: i understand, there are not much samples on internet I think :) But if you hear it once that you can easily hear it in many band´s records, It is surprisingly how many famous metal guys are using it... The problem is that my guitar skills are terrible :) Maybe i´ll post some sample...

BTW i have older one (psa-1), I heart that the new one Psa-1.1 is worse than the original unit due to cheaper components inside. Is it true?

Right on.

A sample would be great.

I´ve recorded mine with impulses, but while my recordings skills are very primitive, i´ll wait until i get a better sound with it to post a sample, i dont want to make the unit a bad reputation, haha. however, i only use it through my laptop (crappy) mic input, i´ll soon gonna buy a toneport or some interface and begin with recording in a proper manner.

But the real power of the psa is through a good power amp, even in front of an amp is possible to dial really good tones.

The only problem I have with my PSA is there is no presence knob when I record with impulses,I was gonna try running it thru a poweramp on revalver than an impulse. It also seems to be very compressed.I thru a waves C4 on it and used the uncompress setting and it really opened up.

OK so I made quick shitty sample... DELETED It´s WAV 24 bit mono (only 1 take) PSA1 to Revalver where was only Krank cabinet impulse loaded. No processing. Slightly out of tune guitar (in B tuning BTW), crappy player (me) and also I have this unit for few days only so I hope I´ll dial some better sound in future...

Sounds ..not bad. I would really have to try it out for myself.. but my interest is piqued. The sound starting at 11secs is my favourite.. but it also needs a bit more treble.