sansamp psa-1 questions

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey there,

i'm seriously considering to buy a (used) sansamp PSA in the near future, but i still have a couple of questions.

i'm mainly getting this for recording purposes (both bass and guitars, as i'm really enjoying that "abyss studio" sound right now), but i'm also planning to use it live provided it also sounds good in a rehearsal, i.e. band environment.

firstly, how exactly does the PSA-1 differ from the later PSA-1.1? i've heard some rumors that the original one is superior sound-wise, can anyone confirm or falsify this?

moreover, afaik the original one lacks a master volume control. how exactly would one control the overall volume when running the sansamp into the powersection/fx return of whatever amp is available?

lastly, the psa has both line and xlr outs. theoretically, they're both going to send the exact same signal. now, when you're running it straight into the mixing desk/PA, and at the same time into a poweramp using the line outs for the stage sound, wouldn't one of these sound rather fugly? the way i understand it right now is that you're either sending a fizzy preamp signal into a poweramp for your stage sound AND the same fizzy signal into the PA, which should sound like shit, or a not-so-fizzy treated signal into the PA that actually sounds decent (which seems to be possible, as i've seen a few bands doing that exact same thing and sounding quite good doing it) through the PA, but in theory should sound like shit when put through a poweramp and guitar cab? or am i getting something wrong here?

thanks in advance

Sounds good through desk/Pa, not that Fizzy in my experience and you can get a pretty nice in your face raw sound if you have full range speakers, for bass you can`t ask more, this thing is really good for bass. go for it, is a very nice piece of equipment, sounds awesome with a good poweramp, and you CAN`T get more versatile and good sounding device than this, just hook it up with some effects pedals or rack effects device and you are good to go.

Love mine....actually run mine through a power amp and Palmer PDI-03.

There are slight variances between the 1.0 and 1.1 in terms of components but not much in terms of tone.

well, and how about the possibility to run it through a power amp + cab AND direct into the PA at the same time?
according to the manual it's technically possible. but how does it work out in reality, using the same preset through an amp+cab and direct?

I used that way too, and psa to two different amps, it works great, some claim the unit excels in Direct mode, i just use it more through the amp, but also direct gives you a good tone, more than usable, i haven`t problems with fizzy tones going direct, but it also depend on the settings, be carefull with the highs, also the preamp knob can give you noise.