Recording Screaming...ANDY?!

jamiered

Ultimate Member
Sep 25, 2007
Anyone whos recorded a screaming vocalist what would you say works the best? Do you preamp for the distortion or use a specific plug in? please let me know thanks alot!

Distressor, definitely. I set it to Audio Mode 2, which is tube saturation emulation... it adds lots of 2nd harmonics, hence giving you a nice semi-distorting sound. You also get the benefit of dynamics control on the way down.

If the guy can scream properly it shouldn't need any distortion....but if you want the effect....a plugin would work.

Got a reamp box? A guitar amp? Run vocals through that....or just the pedals....try a bunch of different stuff..

Favorite Distortion plug in is IZOTOPE's Trash.

+1

But you gotta do what you gotta do when a little bitch comes in and can't get up the bawls to do it good. :mad:

yeah but it's not even like that we've done an ep without any effects on the vocals and it turned out good but even with just slight effects it can make everything sound more put together; like when you add a little distortion on the screams it blends in with the music more than it would without them.

What I recommend is slamming the compressor with as much compression as possible, so you get the distortion of the compressor. One software compressor I have found that does a good job on this is Smack! which works with Protools. However, hardware compressors are great for doing this as well. If you do happen to use modeled distortion on the vocals, try to use it vary sparingly so that way you get the true sound of the vocals. Maybe even dual track it, if it's not thick enough. Alternate your track when you record, have the singer do 1 phrase at a time, then go back and do the other phrases, it helps with breathing, it helps them a lot of with breathing! Put the song together slowly, what I usually do is make the singer do the verses first, then come back and do the choruses, and then backing vocals last. If there are any non-screaming parts, have the singer do those on a separate track, and harmonize the melodies.

proximity effect of a large condenser makes screams sound huge. a tube condenser gives an excellent natural and mild distortion that is flattering to most voices. definitely a good way to make a great vocal track sound awesome!

proximity effect of a large condenser makes screams sound huge. a tube condenser gives an excellent natural and mild distortion that is flattering to most voices. definitely a good way to make a great vocal track sound awesome!

Yeah, the difficult part is getting around the fact that most metal vocalists have lousy breathing technique and always seem to suffer from "I just don't feel right screaming into a stand mounted mike" issues.

I've only ever had one extreme vocalist that didn't have this problem.

Just a stupid idea, but that that is the issue, maybe give the singer a mic, like an SM58 hooked up behind the windscreen so he can grab on to, just don't hook it up to the mic Pre's that way he gets the feeling of holding a mic, but doesn't touch the "real" mic.

Just a stupid idea, but that that is the issue, maybe give the singer a mic, like an SM58 hooked up behind the windscreen so he can grab on to, just don't hook it up to the mic Pre's that way he gets the feeling of holding a mic, but doesn't touch the "real" mic.

haha thats kind of a cool idea i should try that sometime