Screaming vocal processing

I partly agree, the zen of screaming is the most confusing POS ever.
you're probably right about my terminology being f*cked up, but the different techniques have to be identified somehow :erk:...
and btw, she only shows vocal fry, the creaky crap. when fully developed and mastered (fry screaming) it's just like all the examples you guys posted. (edit: I dont know why i bother, c'mon, be open-minded...)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJu_BQrfk3E&feature=related[/ame]

There's an interesting video, complete with laryngoscopic examples. Definitely a more comprehensive approach to analysing things.

Might want to say, for those of you that are easily grossed out, don't bother watching :lol:

Okay, sorry for the terminology thing (Fugging haterz!:mad:)
we ALL think that vocal fry sounds horrible and wimpy :loco:
i assume this is what you prefer to call the techniques:
Öwen;9033101 said:
Different technique. Growls got a different tonality to the distortion element. Thats more a shout with a distortion to it....
this shout with a distortion to it that he called it is exactly (at least sound-wise) what i have called fry screaming (not vocal fry) so far.
sorry for the inconvenience :cry:

wouldn't say you guys derailed the thread.
i didn't really want to hear about your basic vox mixing routine, "...maybe some saturation and then some compression and EQ and some reverb". there are already many threads about that!
i wanted to know if there was a way to get "a different tonality to the distortion element" (like Öwen said) e.g you have a shout with distortion and you want it to sound more like a growl
this is not really something i need for an actual project but i just wanted to know

Get a good clear capture (condenser and dynamic mic) and do 2 layers of each. Do it twice, don't just double a set. Then set the dynamic channels louder than the condensers, and dial the second layers back lower than the the first. This is very "season to taste", btw. Now, add an fx channel and send them all to it. On this channel, i like the ts808 "tube screamer" guitar effect, but a good amp sim with distortion will work. You just want the saturation and a small amount of gain. Now mix the volume of the fx track to taste. Too much can give a telephone sound. On your main use a compressor set to work most of the time, but not all the time, and a limiter to catch the peaks. Also, you will need a decent room reverb to make it sound "real". None of this is a secret... but this is. Now record another take of the vocalist "whispering". Being at a low volume as if they were walking around singing the song. Mix this in to taste. Now cut your lows around 60hzthe and your highs around 17,000hz and scoop your mids around 6-800hzthe until it sits in tbe mix. I recommend doing this in a separate session, then mixing down just the vocals and importing them into your main session to save processor. Any final tweaks can be made there. These will sound amazing. Trust me.

woooow o_O neeeeeeeeecro
how nice of you to share that but I seriously doubt the OP still wants vocal mixing tips.
Let this thread die, it's filled with vocal technique-related misinformation :bah:

Edit: the mixing tips are good tho...

Really dude? Fry is not the only correct way to scream. In fact, very few people use fry screams. Inhales, Exhales, Fry, False Chords, Ghost, Gut, Drive, and Belt screams are all "correct and professional" screams. Don't make the statement if you don't know shit about it. I'm sorry but that comment really pissed me off

My growl vocal treatment goes something like this:

Limiter --> 1176 HW --> SSL HW --> Limiter. Basically smash the shit out of the vocals. And as someone already mentioned. THe 1176 gives some saturation but if your not satisfied i really like the CLA 1176 with comp off and drive the input until your satisfied with the distortion. One of the best ITB dists i know.

For FX i usually use an exciter, reverb and delay.