Problem of Recording screaming vocals

DjentyTard

Djenty Member
Dec 20, 2013
Hi guys, so I have been practicing screaming for almost 3 years. I do fry scream mainly and a little bit false chord.

If you wonder what does my fry scream sound like it sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcxiBiL8wKQ

I bought a PG58 last year and....well when I push my diaphragm to scream into the microphone there are too many gargling, crackling finer details instead of the fry distorting sound. I just wonder is the PG58 not good enough to capture the fry distortion or its the problem of my audio interface? (I have a M-audio fast track USB).

I know Sm7b, Sm 58 or 57 are good mics for screaming but I'm just not sure which one suit me the most based on my screaming style. And obviously the store won't let me try those mics by opening the boxes lol.

So long story short I want to build a professional home studio but don't want to waste money on trying different mics, any suggestion will be appreciated. If you guys think I should get a Sm7b, what's the best audio interface for it?

Thanks

I use a Profire 610 interface, but I think finding the right microphone is what's going to help you the most. The AKG c214 is absolutely killer. Best tone and quality for the price, IMO. If I'm not mistaken, the fast track has phantom power built in, which means you'll have no problem supporting a condenser mic. If you're planning on using the mic to scream live or at band practice, or anywhere outside a vocal booth, I'd try a Rode M1. Compared to a Shure, it focuses less on the saliva noises you're hearing, and more on the screaming. Hope this helps!

If I'm not mistaken, the fast track has phantom power built in

the fast track usb doesn't have phantom power so he won't be able to use a condenser.

can you give us any audio samples to see what you mean?

I use a Profire 610 interface, but I think finding the right microphone is what's going to help you the most. The AKG c214 is absolutely killer. Best tone and quality for the price, IMO. If I'm not mistaken, the fast track has phantom power built in, which means you'll have no problem supporting a condenser mic. If you're planning on using the mic to scream live or at band practice, or anywhere outside a vocal booth, I'd try a Rode M1. Compared to a Shure, it focuses less on the saliva noises you're hearing, and more on the screaming. Hope this helps!

hey man thanks for the recommends, I'll check them out

the fast track usb doesn't have phantom power so he won't be able to use a condenser.

can you give us any audio samples to see what you mean?

I think you are right, my audio interface doesn't support phantom power mic so I can't use condenser mic on my fast track