Recording screaming vocals, HELP!

I tried death growl and it doesn't feel really good to me, because you need shit loads of air in order to project that brutal sound and its really easy to make me dizzy even faint.

You're doing it wrong. Plus you need to practice and exercise your breathing if you can't push enough air.

And it fucked up my throat as well

You're doing it wrong. :devil:

And to add, try your vocals with SM57 or SM58. They handle screams very well.
At least all my screaming styles (I don't use false chord or fry) sound good even without any processing.
Plus those mics handle processing really nicely, check out some clips (SM57):

and

Also:

Like Gujukal said, a tube screamer VST might help you. And all kinds of saturation plugins too.
A lot of screaming vox are compressed and saturated to hell and back these days, so that's a part of the sound.
Though, I don't mean that you can leave skills out of the equation by just compressing and saturating the vox. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
What style do you use, if you don't mind the question?

Don't really know the correct term, but I use a ton of air for the lows and low mids (hehe, pun).

It's hard to describe. I started doing it when I was 12, and my main influence were Mikael Åkerfeldt and Dani Filth.
I nailed the Mikael Åkerfeldt growls by the time I was 13.
When I was about 14 or 15 I started to develop my high screaming, which is a mixture of Dani Filth's high screams and certain metalcore/deathcore high screams.

Damn, I'd suck at teaching how to scream. :lol:

Getting so OT that I'll stop now. :)

What I've noticed is that iPhones at least add a fair about of distortion and compression when i record some of my singing/screaming ideas. And that can make the screams sound better in a way. Not better like in sound quality but in a way that makes you think you have more distortion in your voice than you actually have.

As for helping with your technique I can't really say anything. I don't really scream that much. It's more of a dirty distortion singing style that i do. Just thought I could tell my experiences about the iPhone/pad mics.

Don't really know the correct term, but I use a ton of air for the lows and low mids (hehe, pun).

It's hard to describe. I started doing it when I was 12, and my main influence were Mikael Åkerfeldt and Dani Filth.
I nailed the Mikael Åkerfeldt growls by the time I was 13.
When I was about 14 or 15 I started to develop my high screaming, which is a mixture of Dani Filth's high screams and certain metalcore/deathcore high screams.

Damn, I'd suck at teaching how to scream. :lol:

Getting so OT that I'll stop now. :)

Hey mate, thanks for the tips. Based on my screaming style, do you recommend me SM7B or SM57?

You're doing it wrong. Plus you need to practice and exercise your breathing if you can't push enough air.

You're doing it wrong. :devil:

At least all my screaming styles (I don't use false chord or fry) sound good even without any processing.
Plus those mics handle processing really nicely, check out some clips (SM57):

and

Also:

Like Gujukal said, a tube screamer VST might help you. And all kinds of saturation plugins too.
A lot of screaming vox are compressed and saturated to hell and back these days, so that's a part of the sound.
Though, I don't mean that you can leave skills out of the equation by just compressing and saturating the vox. :D

Hey man, yeah I know if it hurts I must did it incorrectly. but death not really the style I want. Do you recommend me sm7b or sm57 based on my screaming style?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 18. :)

If you could test them both, that'd be great. Then you'd get to hear your vox through them both and you'd have a realistic comparison. :)

dude haha, you are definitely using fry and false chord, you just didn't notice it because you learned all by yourself

dude haha, you are definitely using fry and false chord, you just didn't notice it because you learned all by yourself

If I had to guess I'm pretty sure I use death bro. :)

IS this kind of pedal make a vocalist like fake singing?

It's just an overdrive pedal for guitar. So for vocals it too only adds distortion. Mixed with the original non-distorted track it adds some aggression but don't just rely on the pedal/plugin. It won't make you sound good if you don't sound good in the first place. But it can add some nice saturation.