Audio interface for SM7B

DjentyTard

Djenty Member
Dec 20, 2013
Hi guys, I'm a harsh vocalist(fry scream) and just got my brand new SM7b. I have one M-audio fast track USB, and its really shitty. I also ordered a Scarlett 2i4, just wonder am i buying the right one for my sm7b? (I can't afford the audio interface that is 200$+)

You need something that has a lot of gain, I can use a sm7 with my mackie onyx black jack(150$) and get a decent signal level.

You need something that has a lot of gain, I can use a sm7 with my mackie onyx black jack(150$) and get a decent signal level.

mackie onyx blackjack have maximum 60db gain, which is what sm7b just about to need

You've got to make sure it's CLEAN gain. Most preamps start getting VERY noisy at the top end of their gain capability, so if you need 60 dB of gain, and you have to turn up the gain knob completely, you may run into trouble. You could get something like a cloudlifter that would give you an additional 20 dB of clean gain before hitting your preamp for the rest.

You've got to make sure it's CLEAN gain. Most preamps start getting VERY noisy at the top end of their gain capability, so if you need 60 dB of gain, and you have to turn up the gain knob completely, you may run into trouble. You could get something like a cloudlifter that would give you an additional 20 dB of clean gain before hitting your preamp for the rest.

I'm thinking about getting the Focusrite Forte, because it has 75db clean gain, and that's all I need since I'm a screamer. And just read some reviews that audio interface works especially good with sm7b. The only con of that baby is its kinda pricy.

I'm thinking about getting the Focusrite Forte, because it has 75db clean gain, and that's all I need since I'm a screamer. And just read some reviews that audio interface works especially good with sm7b. The only con of that baby is its kinda pricy.
Because it have top class converters. Usual thing if no competitors exists (in USB format)...

I just mentioned cause for such price :)
Top converters alone does not mean excellent quality - who knows how good preamps on maximum gain?

The Scarlett series are decent enough, I would try it first. I debated long and hard between that and a ur22 for our singer to record at home. Went ur22 because of Cubase. But the specs are nearly identical. It works fine with an sm7b.

So try it, if it is too noisy, grab one of those Cloudlifters which add 25db of clean gain. They are perfect for sm7b's, ribbon mics, and other low output dynamics.

The Scarlett series are decent enough, I would try it first. I debated long and hard between that and a ur22 for our singer to record at home. Went ur22 because of Cubase. But the specs are nearly identical. It works fine with an sm7b.

So try it, if it is too noisy, grab one of those Cloudlifters which add 25db of clean gain. They are perfect for sm7b's, ribbon mics, and other low output dynamics.

Hey thanks for the reply man, yeah I'm gonna try it out

I just mentioned cause for such price :)
Top converters alone does not mean excellent quality - who knows how good preamps on maximum gain?

I read the reviews and the Forte one works great with SM7B, but it is also hard to control and you need to adjust a lot. Most importantly, its expensive. I don't know should I try my scarlett first with the mic, because if the box isn't opened I can return i back and get a Forte

just a heads up about the scarlett, if your trying to record guitars you may run into clipping issues. i did when i demo'd the 2i2.

just a heads up about the scarlett, if your trying to record guitars you may run into clipping issues. i did when i demo'd the 2i2.
Better grab 2i4 in this case... still not too much, but better, +13 dbu with Pad against -3 dbu.

My two cents is to get a Triton Audio Fethead. It provides a 20db bump so you can use these lower gain pres without adding too much noise.