Recording thru firewire: does it make a difference what interface i buy?

rispsira

Mar 18, 2010
I am setting up my small home studio just to record my ideas and have fun instead of driving to the rehearsal room late at night

So i have been looking at interfaces but since i will b recording through a laptop and therefore firewire some people have been telling me that it wont matter much what interface i buy

So my dilema between getting the rme babyface when its out or a focusrite saffire or the tc electronic interface etc is a waste of time.

do you guys agree?

Better converters and preamps will give you better audio quality, so yes, the interface matters. If it's worth hundreds of dollars to invest in expensive pres and converters when you have an untreated room at home and just want to record your ideas is another matter which is purely up to you and depends on how much cash you want to blow. Personally I'm not investing in anything expensive for home use. But yeah, the converters and preamps definitely affect audio quality.

Better converters and preamps will give you better audio quality, so yes, the interface matters. If it's worth hundreds of dollars to invest in expensive pres and converters when you have an untreated room at home and just want to record your ideas is another matter which is purely up to you and depends on how much cash you want to blow. Personally I'm not investing in anything expensive for home use. But yeah, the converters and preamps definitely affect audio quality.

Very very good point thanks man!! To be honest ultimately when i have the dough i will probably treat the room but it will be for monitoring only. My heads are staying in the rehearsal room or my neighbours will kill me LOL

I am looking mainly for an interface to connect my axe fx ultra for songwriting at home. (By the way i apologise; i didnt give you guys enough info..)
The main recording will stay at the rehearsal room, but i was hoping to get as good a quality as i can with the axe and an interface so it can drive me to work more and more, just really enjoy it.

So basically i might try recording the axe through a 2:90/cab setup at low volumes cause im curious, but the plan is to record direct and just focus on the music at home.

So you are right in that it doesnt make sense to spend too much when it wont be actual recording. I am just looking at something acceptable that will push me to write more music.

So what i heard from a couple of sound engineers so far is that the quality you get from recording through the firewire is not comparable to that of a desktop where the interface is connected to the amp with cables and a PCI card.

If that is the case that i might be complicating my life too much choosing the right interface. If not, i need to do more research and try to get a reasonable quality at a reasonable price for a home setup

Sorry for the long reply and thanks again for your advice! what do you think?