Recording to an external drive?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I keep reading usb 2.0 is enough.

I need an external drive with project files I can bring to and from different locations. I'd like to keep it USB for quick access on laptops. I know I can usb/fw but there are some great deals on cheap drives so I'm quite curious.

Can I be mixing ~60 tracks of recorded material off a USB 2.0 external drive? (7200rpm)

I keep reading usb 2.0 is enough.

I need an external drive with project files I can bring to and from different locations. I'd like to keep it USB for quick access on laptops. I know I can usb/fw but there are some great deals on cheap drives so I'm quite curious.

Can I be mixing ~60 tracks of recorded material off a USB 2.0 external drive? (7200rpm)

doable off one that is powered from a mains supply, but I wouldnt/havent try/tried it on one that is buss powered

I have recorded plenty of stuff onto an external harddrive. USB 2.0
Not sure about all the technical stuff or whether it matters, but I'm recording at 44.1 khz in 24 bit and I'm forced to use a portable drive since my internal drive is tiny, and I don't have the funds to buy any more hard drives at the moment.

I've never have any problems at all. Although one time, the drive was accidentally disconnected and bad things happened in my project. :lol:

Western Digital MyPassport. 500Gb, nice, small, around 100 euro (maybe less now) and works like a charm!

worst case scenario, if it doesn't work that well, just track to the hard drive and than transfer the whole project when you're done