Who is using an external audio drive - firewire or USB

Do you use a FireWire or USB external drive for audio?

• FireWire

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • USB

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters

Jan 10, 2005
If you have an external drive you use for audio, is it FW or USB? You can vote for both if you have both as well.

Im probably part of the minority since I use usb, but I absolutely love my audio drive. I dont remember the specs (Ill post them after work) but I think its just some custom drive that someone put in a rocketfish enclosure. All I can remember off the top of my head is it is 500GB, 7200 rpm, and I believe 32MB cache....plus it has 3 usb ports and an sd card slot!

It may not hold a candle to what some of you guys are using, but it is as fast as I could hope for and it has never let me down.

Both, depends if I am working on a mac or PC. I have a 7200 rpm external 1tb hard drive where all my sessions are also in, which has USB and Firewire, so I am always good to go.

Well, atm nothing ehhe but will buy a USB one because firewire is too expensive here in Brazil

With most current laptops I would honestly rather use USB. The quality of the FireWire chipsets in every non-Apple off the shelf laptop right now is so shitty I wouldn't trust anything to it. A friend took a chance on a new Sony VAIO laptop today because it was the only laptop at Future Shop with FireWire and guess what? Can't play back a single track for more than 15 seconds before it locks up. No way I would trust even a hard drive on those shitty chipsets.

That wasn't the question... :lol:

Just taking a poll of who uses what, not specifics - just if you use an external FW or USB drive, or both.

Actually I'm wondering why you don't have eSata in there as well if you're polling about external drives. I have eSata ports on both my studio computers and it's becoming increasingly common on laptops as well.

(Edited for a minor thing)

With most current laptops I would honestly rather use USB. The quality of the FireWire chipsets in every non-Apple off the shelf laptop right now is so shitty I wouldn't trust anything to it. A friend took a chance on a new Sony VAIO laptop today because it was the only laptop at Future Shop with FireWire and guess what? Can't play back a single track for more than 15 seconds before it locks up. No way I would trust even a hard drive on those shitty chipsets.

Off topic....but

I had a similar problem on my livetracker laptol when I first got my mackie onyx. I downloaded DPC latency checker and noticed I was getting huge spikes quite often and it would cause my DAW to totally dropout. After a ton of trial and error I solved the problem by disabling the process that is responsible for showing the battery life. I know it sounds completely crazy, but that is the only thing that worked. Now I cant see how much battery life is left, but I rarely use the laptop unplugged.