Recording with an E-Drum Kickdrum and a real Kit

EachHit

ScytheBeast
Dec 21, 2013
Germany
Hi everyone,

I wanted to try to record my Drumkit without a real Bassdrum and use a Kickpad instead.

Got a Roland TD4-K and the Kickpad is the KD-8. Tested it at Home by just plugging the Outputjack from the Kickpad into my DI-Box and from the into my Audio Interface. I got a pretty good signal which should make it easy to Drum Replace that.

But the problem is that it's not very convenient when I don't hear a Kickdrum just only the splat. I tried to use my Drumbrain from there E-Kit so i got sound and just record the Output from there but the Signal wasn't as good as when I just go straight into the Interface.

Maybe some of you guys who record a lot with Kick Pads can give me a hint how to setup everything up so I get very good TriggerSignals and hear a Kickdrum during playing.

Heavy Greetz

Either monitor with connecting the kick pad to the module as well, or use Trigger/Drumagog (whatever you have) to monitor with a kick sample.

Thanks for the Answers.

I tried to Monitor thru Trigger 2 with just the Kickpad connected to the Interface but the Latency threw me off while playing. And when I used the Drummodule the Signal which I record is not as clean as when I just record the Kickpad cause the Drummodule only has Stereooutputs.

Maybe I should try to get a splitter or something like that so I can get the Signal from the Drummodule and directly from the Kickpad.

Heavy Greetz

monitor with connecting the kick pad to the module as well

I'm guessing your DI-box has "thru" signal as well as a normal output so splitting shouldn't be a problem.

About Trigger, did you adjust the latency to Live mode in the plugin and in general?

I'm guessing your DI-box has "thru" signal as well as a normal output so splitting shouldn't be a problem.

About Trigger, did you adjust the latency to Live mode in the plugin and in general?

Thanks for the Answer.

It seems that I am an idiot. I guess I should have thought that by myself. I should try that the next Time I am doing this again.

Did it today just by plugging it in as I tested it at home on a real Drumkit. So I just heard the spalt coming out of the Kickpad while playing Drums.
It wasn't that annyoing as I thought. Just made it pretty loud and it worked ok.

But I guess I should try out the Method with the Split from the DI to the Drum Brain. And of course I didn't thought of setting Trigger2 to the Live Mode I think.

Editing will be hopefully so much easier and faster without the Kickdrum. And even if I only have that rubberkickpad it's almos not audible in any of the Roommics I think.

Heavy Greetz