recording

daz436

Konfused
Feb 13, 2006
recording guitar direct to my pc.. info on how this is done please im a retard hardware wise.. i have plenty software to keep me going though.

tell me what i need basically please :)

I have a Line 6 Guitar Port, which is pretty good for recording riffs/music on your computer. Its very cheap, considering that it has amp models that simulate around 11 real amp tones. You can get pretty much any tone you want.

Or you can put a mic next to your amp and use sound recorder to record the riffs :p

Well you need an adapter so that you can plug whatever your playing into the computer. I use cubase for doing Audio and drum(mIDI) tracks, but is actually quite a difficult program to use as its very systematic. Most of the time i usually accidently press something and it fucks everything up and i dont know what i have done wrong lol. There are lots of ways of doing it, if you want to do it the way i do it, add me on msn and i can try and teach you.

I have found that the best method for recording is to get a usb interface (got mine for $100), and you can run your own effects rack through it or use software effects, than get a program like audacity which is pretty good for multiple track recording. It can be overcomplicated using this method of recording but I think it is worth it.

It depends completely on how much time and money you want to spend on it.

A good solution for someone who is starting:
Get yourself a USB or Firewire interface. Use it to plug your guitar in directly and use the built-in effects, or if you want a better sound, mic your rig. Regradless of which method you're going to use, you will need some sort of DAW... Audacity is OK to start out with as it is free, but later on you will want to purchase something with more options, like Logic Express/Pro, Live, Pro Tools, or Cubase.

If you're serious about home recording, then you will probably want to invest in better hardware later on, as the all-in-one USB interfaces like the Line6 GuitarPorts and M-Audio Black Box tend to sound very subpar to audiophiles.

Still, don't go out and spend all your money on something you might not even end up doing seriously. It takes a lot of practice to get the hand of recording and mixing, and you have a long way to go before you will begin to feel the limitations of cheaper software and hardware.

Ya, so good luck. :)

As said, it depends what you're willing to spend and whatnot.

For me, I only record stuff that I really want to remember, or that I want to show someone, so I record directly via the Line In port. I used to use a microphone, but it broke.

Anyway, the sound quality isn't great, but it's definitely good enough for my purposes and it's quick and simple. If I ever want to record seriously, though, I'll definitely invest money into something better.

thanks alot everyone.. and yeah sorry moonlapse i would have browsed back manually but im just lazy

hellforge said:
I have a Line 6 Guitar Port, which is pretty good for recording riffs/music on your computer. Its very cheap, considering that it has amp models that simulate around 11 real amp tones. You can get pretty much any tone you want.

Or you can put a mic next to your amp and use sound recorder to record the riffs :p
line 6 sucks balls, and the 11 real amp tones... yeah they dont sound very real...

line 6= lots of fake sounding shite, with 1000s of fashing lights and crap effects that all sound bad.. the new ones have tv remotes in them too

I use a Line 6 guitarport combined with the sonoma wireworks Riffworks program (the package is called Rifftracker). It's an easy and powerful way to record songs, and with the combined amp models from the guitarport and the cool effects from Riffworks you basically have an endless possibility of making tones. Hell, I can even make gothy synth sounds with my guitar and make it sound like a bass or an organ. It also has a virtual drummer but it is quite limited, certainly for the metal genre. If you want to hear how the sound quality is listen to this:

http://users.skynet.be/dafreak/11%20Circles%20Upon%20The%20Waters.mp3

Opethian666 said:
I use a Line 6 guitarport combined with the sonoma wireworks Riffworks program (the package is called Rifftracker). It's an easy and powerful way to record songs, and with the combined amp models from the guitarport and the cool effects from Riffworks you basically have an endless possibility of making tones. Hell, I can even make gothy synth sounds with my guitar and make it sound like a bass or an organ. It also has a virtual drummer but it is quite limited, certainly for the metal genre. If you want to hear how the sound quality is listen to this:

http://users.skynet.be/dafreak/11%20Circles%20Upon%20The%20Waters.mp3
line 6 effects are NOT good what is with all you people

see why would u ever want your guitar to sound like a bass or an organ ... realy.. if u want those sounds use the acual instuments, its just going to sound fake and gay

line 6 effects are NOT good what is with all you people

see why would u ever want your guitar to sound like a bass or an organ ... realy.. if u want those sounds use the acual instuments, its just going to sound fake and gay

Sorry but Line 6 amps sounds good enough for me, and for a lot of other people, it just take some time to create a decent tone with all the right settings. Besides, you only said effects, and I only use the effects from Riffworks combined with the amps from Guitarport. Since I'm not some stupid rich ass I can't afford to buy a drum set or an organ or a bass, so fuck off. Did you even listen to the song? Does it sound fake and gay to you?

Here's another sample: http://users.skynet.be/dafreak/04%20Ion%20Storm.mp3

Opethian666 said:
Sorry but Line 6 amps sounds good enough for me, and for a lot of other people, it just take some time to create a decent tone with all the right settings.
yea, well some of us don't base our opinions on the opinions of others. the masses =/= right. i'm glad you dig it. it keeps them in business and it keeps you happy.

personally, i'd rather stick to my boss & marshall stuff.

yea, well some of us don't base our opinions on the opinions of others. the masses =/= right. i'm glad you dig it. it keeps them in business and it keeps you happy.

personally, i'd rather stick to my boss & marshall stuff.

I didn't mean the actual amps, I mean the virtual amps in the guitarport package. I have a Line 6 Spider II amp practise amp of which I don't really like the sound either. But the virtual amp package in guitarport is pretty neat.