a question for guitarists

synergy

tr00bie
Sep 2, 2003
Long Island
Visit site
I am trying to find a good cheap recording program for my computer so that I can start recording some guitar samples or covering some songs just for the hell of it. Im not amazing on the guitar so I was gonna go for the cheaper Acid 3.0 as opposed to the $300 Acid pro. I've been trying to record some Opeth covers on the default windows sound recorder which has been one of the most annoying experiences of my life, so I was wondering if any current or former Acid users could tell me if the software is worth my money.

I don't think Acid is what you're after. I'd say to find a copy of the now defunkt Cool Edit Pro 2. That's what I use and it's great; it has the simplicity I need as well as all the functionality.

One thing I am still searching for is a software module or application that can give my guitar tone amp simulation. I go straight into the back of my computer with the effects pedal and my tone ends up sounding very flat and unnatural as it tends to.

If anyone could give any pointers toward that, I'd be appreciative.

Apparently the company that made Cool Edit Pro was bought out by Adobe so Cool Edit Pro was pretty much repackaged under the name Adobe Audition...but its still 300 dollars. I know that Acid isn't really an ideal program but it's the cheapest that I could find so I'm just wondering if Acid would to allow me to make half-way decent guitar recordings. I need to improve my skills before I dish out $300 on professional recording equipment.

Deathfist suggested Amplitube to me as an amp simulation program... I'm now using that in unison with Cool Edit Pro. There's so many possibilities now, with this... I found I get the best sound when I mix my pedalboard's distortion with the amp simulating capabilities of Amplitube... here's a little sample of the kind of sound then you can get out of that setup... (I'm still fiddling with it a heap, trying to get rid of the grain and get it out of that mid-ranged sound)

http://www.geocities.com/cyanidix/storage/thrashriffs.mp3

(you have to copy and paste the link manually into your browser, as geocities don't like hotlinks).

Lethal that looks like all the ideas ripped from line6s guitarport (which is what i have at the moment) and just re-done.. i wonder if the accuracy of the amp modeling is better though.

I just got myself Audition. It's better than Cool Edit in every way... including that it supports VST, as Cool Edit could only use effects through DirectX, which really sucked. I don't even need to use my pedalboard anymore, just plug in, play acoustic then overlay it with Amplitube.

Btw, is there any way to make the effects playback to you as you're recording or playing into the computer? In real time... (yes I know this will destroy the CPU).

Acid Pro 3.0 does work just fine for me. it is extremely simple and runs very smooth...even though it is not really meant for multi-track recording....its more of a loop-based tool that is meant for building music out of....loops....good for techno....and yes, there is good techno...but thats beside the point. Pretty expensive though....really took a chunk out of me pocket......

Mmm, if the PC isn't up to scratch then the best bet is usually to rely on hardware/portable/digital recorders and traditional 4 tracks. But if your PC can hold its own then the best bet is to go with software such as Audition, which is simple yet very powerful. Being on PC leaves endless opportunities for plug-ins and augmentation too.

Cubase has real time monitoring Moonlapse. It is a very big plus when recording. If you are serious about recording stuff get a good sound card. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, cost around $200 usd. The sound card is a must if you want to monitor because a crappy sound card will return sound late and cause a whole MESS of problems.

Aye, I can testify to that. I have Cubase SX and there is no chance in friggin hell this computer will EVER... EVERRR run it. It is a very big plus though and I'm definately considering beefing this system up to have better recording capability.

Moonlapse said:
Please guys, we can use this thread to talk about different recording software and give suggestions, but keep the piracy talk private.

so you went out and spent $300 on Adobe audtion within a day of me mentioning it?...just wondering. And sorry about the piracy talk, I'll proabably buy it once I save up a nice load of cash.