Reference mixing

I've never quite understood what was so special about the Black album.
Pretty good for it's time.
Doesn't sound particularly good at all compared to Staub's recent work.

Mix-wise the Black album is kinda meh when you listen to it at a conservative volume, but crank it and it's instant HOLY FUCKING HEADBANGING SHIT BATMAN THIS IS GOOD. I still honestly think heavy music doesn't get much heavier than Sad But True.

Honestly when I crank that album all I think is 'fuck the high-end on those drums hurts'. It's weird, a tape album that wanted to sound like ITB. I'm sure it was a milestone for its time, but Staub has totally blown it away since, though most peoples' nostalgia doesn't let them see that. Too much association between production and the music itself. If Nickelback weren't universally reviled, you can bet his work on their records would be the milestone.

Honestly when I crank that album all I think is 'fuck the high-end on those drums hurts'. It's weird, a tape album that wanted to sound like ITB. I'm sure it was a milestone for its time, but Staub has totally blown it away since, though most peoples' nostalgia doesn't let them see that. Too much association between production and the music itself. If Nickelback weren't universally reviled, you can bet his work on their records would be the milestone.

The production and the music on that album work perfectly together, which is in my opinion the thing that makes or breaks an album. If one or other wouldn't be what they are, the album wouldn't be nowhere near that awesome. It's not that the production has to be great, but it has to be great for those particular songs.

I've never quite understood what was so special about the Black album.
Pretty good for it's time.
Doesn't sound particularly good at all compared to Staub's recent work.

I think it suit the album well. Being it was Metallica's less darker albums thematically speaking, the tones and mix complimented it nicely. I can't imagine a modern hyper compressed and in-your-face kind of sound fitting the album.