Regular spacing/F-spacing?

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
Right, what's the difference between "regular spaced" pickups and "F-spaced" ones? I've noticed that the DiMarzio X2N is available in both; which one would I want for a hardtail Ibanez RG?

the f-spaced is for floyd equiped guitars, though i dont think it makes any diference in the x2n, because it doesnt have any pole pieces, its just those 2 blade poles, but in response to your original question, get the regular spaced if its a hardtail

???? your wrong. if u dont know then dont answer. f- spacing is for fender guitars. u need regular spacing. -joey

It is true that F spaced stands for "Fender spacing", but a Floyd is Fender spaced for instance. (The Floyd was originally built to be a replacement for the vintage Fender trem, so they have the same spacing).

If the guitar has a Fender-style hardtail, I'm guessing it is F-spaced (but not sure, so you may want to check that up).

If you're having a tune-o-matic bridge though, it's most likely not Fender spaced.

As for the "F spaced" pickups - it's a load of hype as far as I'm concerned. A non F-spaced pickup will work perfectly well in an F-spaced guitar and vice versa. Get the cheapest one.

'bane

actually im not wrong, but neither are you, here what it says in the dimarzio site:

Why are there two different spacings?

A long time ago (in the 20th century, actually) the electric guitar world was divided between Gibson and Fender designs. One of the differences between the two was string spacing. In general, Gibson chose a narrower string spacing at the bridge than Fender, and therefore the polepieces on Gibson humbuckers were closer together than the magnets on Fender pickups. When guitar shops started installing humbuckers in the bridge position of Strats, it was obvious that the strings didn’t line up with the polepieces, and if the E strings were too far outside, the sound could suffer. Our first humbuckers followed the original Gibson spacing, and we call them standard-spaced. When we released our first humbuckers with wider spacing, Floyd Rose bridges were very popular. Floyd string-spacing is the same as Fender spacing, so we naturally called the new pickups F-spaced.

I went to buy to DiMarzio PAF Pro pickups for my Ibanez.. it said something about the F-Spacing.. i asked the tech person at Guitar Center where i bought them and i was told it had to do with Floyd trems...

the only logical t hing i can think of is that the pickups WITH the F-Spacing are a little wider in order to adapt to the wider bridge.. I've noticed that Floyds or Floyd based trems are a little wider than the classic Fender style..

but i'm not EXACTLY possitive.. this is purely by what i was told and my opinion.