Relatively New Fan.... Some questions.

Mr Samsara

Misanthropic Moderator
Jul 9, 2004
Carrying a Burden Inside
What's up? I have just picked up "Buried in Oblivion" and have had "Dead or Dreaming" for a couple of months. I really like what I am hearing. I am curious what the circumstances were concerning the line-up changes and what effect it has had for those who have seen the band live since. Do they sound different? In what way? Still have the harmonized vocals? Has the drumming style changed? I have an opportunity to see them when they are in Los Angeles in a couple of weeks and I just want to know what to expect...

Fill me in if you please....

Thanks in advance,

James
Opeth Forum Moddy

Out.:devil:

Interesting questions.

I can't comment on the circumstances regarding their line up changes, since I know nothing there. Being a fan of IE since before the release of Dead or Dreaming, who has seen them live close to a half dozen times here in Edmonton, with most of their various line-up 'tweaks', I can comment on the effect it's had on their live sound and overall style: thankfully nothing too major at all. And all changes, but one, were for the better, IMHO. The new drummer rocks, the new bassist rocks, the new singer rocks + he brings a much appreciated (by me at least) higher vocal range to the lead vocals.

My only notable complaint on the effect of this line-up on the Into Eternity live sound is something I already brought up in another thread + have had a positive response on from the member whose performance I questioned, so rather than repeat what was said, I'll just direct you to that thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191949

Derrick.

DerrickC said:
Interesting questions.

I can't comment on the circumstances regarding their line up changes, since I know nothing there. Being a fan of IE since before the release of Dead or Dreaming, who has seen them live close to a half dozen times here in Edmonton, with most of their various line-up 'tweaks', I can comment on the effect it's had on their live sound and overall style: thankfully nothing too major at all. And all changes, but one, were for the better, IMHO. The new drummer rocks, the new bassist rocks, the new singer rocks + he brings a much appreciated (by me at least) higher vocal range to the lead vocals.

My only notable complaint on the effect of this line-up on the Into Eternity live sound is something I already brought up in another thread + have had a positive response on from the member whose performance I questioned, so rather than repeat what was said, I'll just direct you to that thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191949

Derrick.

Thanks, man. I'll go check it out and give you some feedback if I feel compelled..

Out.:devil:

Since I'm new to them, and I dont want to make a new thread. Anyone have a suggestions as to which album I should buy first? I downloaded (I know shame on me) a few tunes and really enjoy them.

The Yngster said:
Dead and Dreaming and Buried in Oblivion are both amazing, the first one is good too but a lot harder to find.

I concur what the statement that both albums mentioned above are amazing.

My personal fav album is Dead or Dreaming, mostly, I think, due to Tim's role as Lead Vocalist on that one.

However, Buried in Oblivion has the edge in production quality, and perhaps even songwriting, with an overall more 'mature' sound from the band.

So to make my long winded story short, I recomend that a new Into Eternity fan pick up Buried in Oblivion, very closely followed by Dead or Dreaming. :)

IMO Buried in Oblivion beats Dead or Dreaming in terms of musicianship. Not to say that it wasnt amazing on DoD, but everything on BiO is so fast, so tight, and so smooth, its ridiculous how tight the band stays during many of the tempo changes.

:lol: :lol:
the beard actually, but yeah I gotta stop doing that some day........ my throat is so always so dry and it's hard to drink beer that way :rolleyes:

ps. 'the loops', is that kamloops? just curious, i'm a wannabe Canadian :D

Yes, you are correct. It is Kamloops, B.C., Canada. However, that is not where I saw I.E. I saw them in Kelowna.

Ah, how I wish I could have moshed... I blew my knee out during the opening band.:( Still, I was up front banging my head like I was nodding approval for God himself to see.

beautiful BC... esp Kelowna is a popular destination among the people on the Dutch emigration forum I'm on. Thought the Calgary area and Ontario are even more popular. Among the active posters there's only one other who wants to go to Saskatchewan :lol:

Marlies said:
beautiful BC... esp Kelowna is a popular destination among the people on the Dutch emigration forum I'm on. Thought the Calgary area and Ontario are even more popular. Among the active posters there's only one other who wants to go to Saskatchewan :lol:
Your welcome here with open beers and sambucca shots a plenty
Marlies ,Nico feel free to come back anytime

lord of pain said:

I concur. Marlies, you don't want to spend the rest of your life paying for public toilets do you??? :p

That was my biggest european shocker...paying to use the bathroom hahaha :OMG:

lord of pain said:

thanks hun!!! :headbang: :Spin:
But next time I will take either the beer OR the sambuccas, because even though it all tasted delicious, I'm sure that it was that combination that gave me the migraine the days after :( I should've known better ;)

we will be back in September 2006, so move over, it's gonna be cosy with the three of us in "our" bedroom there :p

So..... you guys have plenty notice to think of a strategie to convince Nico that we need to move there!!!!! Finding him a job (RN neurology/brain care) will do :D

FirePixie said:
I concur. Marlies, you don't want to spend the rest of your life paying for public toilets do you??? :p

That was my biggest european shocker...paying to use the bathroom hahaha :OMG:

No kidding!!!!! It seems so futile.... but that was one of the biggest "positive shockers" so to speak for us there... free bathrooms :worship:

That and traffic :D
The effect it has on cars when you come even near the side of the road.... they stop! Ask Sandy and Danny Nargang how safe you feel here when you want to cross a street :rolleyes: